none
Catastrophic failure RRS feed

• Question

• i am getting Catastrophic failure error while trying to install Microsoft  .NET 4.7 on my windows 10

here is the installation log :

OS Version = 10.0.14393, SP = 0.0, Platform 2
    OS Description = Future OS - x64 
    MSI = 5.0.14393.321
    Windows servicing = 10.0.14393.0

Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
    Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 Setup
    Package Version = 4.7.02053
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: Disabled
    Number of applicable items: 6
    RmShutdown failed with error: 351
    Exe (F1e0b41e03e9f6e51d5a7fe0e7cfa49\x64-Windows10.0-KB3186568-x64.cab) failed with 0x8000ffff - Catastrophic failure .

RmRestart failed with error: 352
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x8000FFFF), "Catastrophic failure " (Elapsed time: 0 00:05:17).

i tried all the step from  from this site 

but it doesn't work please help me to resolve this issue .

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Rohit,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Installation failed with error code: (0x8000FFFF), "Catastrophic failure " Cause:

There is an issue with an older Microsoft .Net components that may interfere with the Net Framework 4.7 install. 

Resolution:
    Install all Microsoft Windows updates and service packs,

Reboot your machine, disable the Anti-Virus software or firewall on temporary.

Install the 4.7 again.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 6:23 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update about your issue?

If you still have the problem, please have a look at the thread: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/6be8290d-fd1f-4047-8695-0806e3cf5ea8/net-framework-4-catastrophic-failure-please-help?forum=netfxsetup

"This issue is likely caused by a bad ACL on assembly\tmp folder. After installing updates, the ACL propagates to installed assembly folders in both 4.0 & legacy GAC.  If those updates were installed by WU or another user, the propagated ACL will prevent install of the same assembly by the current user.

Before trying to install .NET Framework 4.7, execute this command from an ELEVATED Command Prompt provided by the .NET Framework Team:

for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T"

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:35 AM