How to safely remove USB device (key) on windows CE 5.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    Is there a way to safely unplug a usb device (especially usbkey) on a windows CE 5.0, I am writing application in VB .NET.

Thanks
    Greg

PS: I found this post, but there is a warning that it needs a significant work before it can go into production app.

Friday, January 18, 2008 9:28 AM

Answers

• Hi, GregaR

As far as I know you have to p/invoke native APIs in your .net application in order to safely remove hardware. If you have concerns with the sample code you have found, you may have a look at the following approach:

How to Prepare a USB Drive for Safe Removal

How To Ejecting Removable Media in Windows NT/Windows 2000/Windows XP

These samples use the DeviceIoControl API to remove hardwires. You still need to tweak them because they are for desktop Windows and are written either with C++ or C#, however the code would be more concise once you finished it. Good luck!

Best Regards

Chunsheng Tang

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:20 AM

All replies

• Hi, GregaR

As far as I know you have to p/invoke native APIs in your .net application in order to safely remove hardware. If you have concerns with the sample code you have found, you may have a look at the following approach:

How to Prepare a USB Drive for Safe Removal

How To Ejecting Removable Media in Windows NT/Windows 2000/Windows XP

These samples use the DeviceIoControl API to remove hardwires. You still need to tweak them because they are for desktop Windows and are written either with C++ or C#, however the code would be more concise once you finished it. Good luck!

Best Regards

Chunsheng Tang

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:20 AM
  • Hi Chunsheng Tang,

thanks for reply, I will have a look into those two links, can you just confirm that it can be done on windows ce 5.0?

Best regards,
    Grega
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:44 AM