Number of Custom Fields RRS feed

• Question

• Running Project 2010 with latest SP. Is there a "reasonable" limit to the number of Custom Fields that can be added to Project 2010. What would be the limiting factor to this number?

Jim Sipe

Jim Sipe
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:02 PM

Answers

• The number of fields per se is not really a big factor with anything other than database size. The real issue with something like performance is how many of them have formulas running in them. I have seen situations where having 30 or 40 fields with fairly complex formula in them can cause pretty slow publishing. Adding large numbers of custom fields into OLAP Cube defintions will certainly cause a big jump in the build times of those cubes.

but that said it is logical that every custom field on a project would add some tiny bit of time to a save or publish action. Eventually that is going to add up to a significant time span if you have 100s of fields but I dont know of any magic number past which there is a hit on perf that is not incremental to the number of fields.

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:12 PM

All replies

• The number of fields per se is not really a big factor with anything other than database size. The real issue with something like performance is how many of them have formulas running in them. I have seen situations where having 30 or 40 fields with fairly complex formula in them can cause pretty slow publishing. Adding large numbers of custom fields into OLAP Cube defintions will certainly cause a big jump in the build times of those cubes.

but that said it is logical that every custom field on a project would add some tiny bit of time to a save or publish action. Eventually that is going to add up to a significant time span if you have 100s of fields but I dont know of any magic number past which there is a hit on perf that is not incremental to the number of fields.

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:12 PM
  • Thanks, much appreciated
    Jim Sipe
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:17 PM