none
Is .Net Framework 4.0 standalone? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I know this question is subjective. However, to elaborate, I wanted to know if I create a WPF application targeted to .NET Framework 4.0, will it work fine on a machine which has ONLY .NET Framework 4.0 installed? Please note that this machine DOESN'T have any previous version of .NET Framework (i.e. 1.1, 2.0 SPx, 3.0 SPx, 3.5 SP1 etc).

Regards,

Ravi

Sunday, August 1, 2010 3:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Ravi,

As we know, the .NET Framework is an integral Windows component that supports building and running the next generation of applications and XML Web services. To support  .NET Framework application, we need to install the related .NET Framework.

The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework class library. The common language runtime is the foundation of the .NET Framework. .NET Framework 3.5 uses CLR version 2.0 and so does .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.0, while .NET framework 4.0 uses v4.0.

This means, if we have build one application that is completely target .NET Framework 4.0, we need to install .NET Framework 4.0 to support it on the target machine.

If your WPF application entirely targets .NET Framework 4.0, you could install and run it properly on the target machine with only .NET Framework 4.0 installed.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Ravi M Patel Monday, August 2, 2010 5:27 AM
    Monday, August 2, 2010 2:58 AM

All replies

• You only need to install .net 4.
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Hi Ravi,

As we know, the .NET Framework is an integral Windows component that supports building and running the next generation of applications and XML Web services. To support  .NET Framework application, we need to install the related .NET Framework.

The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework class library. The common language runtime is the foundation of the .NET Framework. .NET Framework 3.5 uses CLR version 2.0 and so does .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.0, while .NET framework 4.0 uses v4.0.

This means, if we have build one application that is completely target .NET Framework 4.0, we need to install .NET Framework 4.0 to support it on the target machine.

If your WPF application entirely targets .NET Framework 4.0, you could install and run it properly on the target machine with only .NET Framework 4.0 installed.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Ravi M Patel Monday, August 2, 2010 5:27 AM
    Monday, August 2, 2010 2:58 AM