none
Problem after installing KB2597166 - Excel 2010 ranges malfunctioning RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am facing a major Excel issue since yesterday when automatic Windows Update installed a security update for Excel 2010 (KB2597166). Due to this a critical "Export to Excel" functionality in my app has gone for a toss!!

Details:

We have a desktop Windows Application which provides an "Export to Excel" functionality using Excel 2010. What we have is an Excel 2010 template and it's used to provide the user with a new Excel Workbook after appropriately formatting data to the template. The workbook has certain hidden columns + some editable columns. All these are managed using Ranges in the code behind. After the aforementioned security patch, the formatting has completely garbled up with no hidden columns whatsoever.

After digging into the code a bit, I found something very weird. Delete or Hide operations on ranges are not working at all. A sample code snippet is as below:

If Not a > b

Dim rng As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Range

rng = Columns("E", "H")

rng.Delete()

End If

The delete statement has stopped working now. Neither does it throws an exception nor does it delete anything. After debugging, I found that it's returning a value of "false".

Also, if I add a new statement like

rng.Columns.EntireColumn.Hidden = True

VS2010 simply crashes whilst attempting to build the project!! :(

Interestingly, my client and debugger runs fine on a different machine where I have the Office 13 preview installed. M/C is Win8 + Office 2010 + Office 2013.

I am aware that this particular patch created a few bugs and the product team released patches to fix some sorting issue and some other issue with IRM, which I manually installed (KB2598350) - but that dint help.

So can anyone on this forum know whether the product team is aware of this or if a patch is on the way or might have faced a similar issue and knows a workaround?

Any help is much appreciated and I would be more that happy to provide any further details.

-Srijan

Srijan Dutta

Friday, August 17, 2012 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Srijan,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I would involve some experts into your issue to see whether they can help you. There might be some time delay, appreciate for your patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:57 AM
  • Thanks Tom. Looking forward to your reply... This is of utmost importance to me now, as I am still in open waters with no land in sight... :(

Srijan Dutta

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:31 AM
  • One thing you could try doing is to do a search for and delete any .EXD files on the machine. Then see if your app works.

If this doesn't resolve your issue, you should open a support case with Microsoft. If it turns out to be a bug you won't be charged for the case.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Thanks Will for the suggestion. I found 2 files in my AppData->Data->Temp->Excel8.0 folder. There were 2 files there - MSForms.exd and VST0StgLib.exd.

Deleted both of them and still my app doesn't work... :(

Srijan Dutta

Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:41 AM
  • Any clues? Anyone?

Srijan Dutta

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:58 AM