Is Link Prefetching supported in Internet Explorer ? RRS feed

• Question

• User579345625 posted
    Hi,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>If I use Link Prefetching for My static links in ASP.Net application, does Internet Explorer support it? <o:p></o:p>

For people who dont know link prefetching:

Link prefetching is a browser mechanism, which utilizes browser idle time to download or prefetch documents that the user might visit in the near future. A web page provides a set of prefetching hints to the browser, and after the browser is finished loading the page, it begins silently prefetching specified documents and stores them in its cache. When the user visits one of the prefetched documents, it can be served up quickly out of the browser's cache.

Example: <link rel="prefetch" href="/images/big.jpeg"><o:p></o:p>

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Link_prefetching_FAQ

Thanks,

Anup

Monday, May 26, 2008 12:51 AM

Answers

• User1553728923 posted

According to Link prefetching - Wikipedia, the only major browser to support the prefetching feature via the <link> tag/header/meta method is Firefox.

(An older article mentions that Opera will prefetch a link with the "rel" attribute set to "next" only if the user presses a particular key combination. I haven't verified this personally, but I assume it is correct?)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 3:27 PM