help on setup Witness server on a Virtual Machine? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to understand how witness server works.

I have 2 physical servers (A and B) that are needed to be in a database mirroring setup. Can I use a virtual machine to have a witness server.

But have few questions on how this setup works.

Virtual Machine and Physical server A resides on one location and Server B resides on remote site.

if Primary locations for some reason is down how does Witness server work? does the witness server go down too? if so how will the server B become active then?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you.
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:31 PM

Answers

• Sure, it can be in a virtual environment, same rules apply as in a physical environment.  You really want it on a VM in a 3rd location.  If you have it on a VM on either the primary or secondary physical server if you ever lose the physical server where it is running you will have no failover and in fact if you lose the secondary server and the witness in on it as well you SQL will come out of service.
    David A. Bermingham, Director of Product Management, SteelEye Technology
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 3:46 PM

All replies

• If you want automated failover your witness server will need to be in a 3rd location with connectivity to the primary and secondary site.  It is described in relation to a CCR cluster here, but the same concept applies to your database mirror witness.

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/04/25/438185.aspx

Friday, April 2, 2010 5:51 AM
  • Thank you for the quick response.

so in that case can i have a witness server in a Virtual environment?

we are setting up asynchronous with possibility for High Availability.
    my other question is that can i install the witness server in a virtual environment and have it monitor principal server and secondary server?

Friday, April 2, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Sure, it can be in a virtual environment, same rules apply as in a physical environment.  You really want it on a VM in a 3rd location.  If you have it on a VM on either the primary or secondary physical server if you ever lose the physical server where it is running you will have no failover and in fact if you lose the secondary server and the witness in on it as well you SQL will come out of service.
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 3:46 PM