Windows Azure SSD storage RRS feed

• Question

• I have find article which states that Windows Azure now uses SSD storage.

Is this means that all storage on Windows Azure is now on SSD disks ?

Can someone explain this little more ?

Radenko

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:02 AM

Answers

• As I understand it the Azure Storage subsystem (Blobs, Tables, Queues) use SSDs for the journaling portion of storage, but the actual data is still on spinning rust. Journaling is clearly an internal aspect of the storage subsystem that is not exposed to end users, but the end result is the storage system should be faster and more scalable.

Likely this info doesn't help you at all other than to clarify that to you and me SSDs are not in the picture as of now.

Friday, February 1, 2013 9:02 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have a link to the article please?

I would imagine that this is not the case for all Azure storage as the cost would be prohibitive, however SSD may well be used for other purposes.

Regards,

Alan

Free e-book: Windows Azure Service Bus Developer Guide.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you have a link to the article please?

I would imagine that this is not the case for all Azure storage as the cost would be prohibitive, however SSD may well be used for other purposes.

Regards,

Alan

Free e-book: Windows Azure Service Bus Developer Guide.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:26 AM
  • As I understand it the Azure Storage subsystem (Blobs, Tables, Queues) use SSDs for the journaling portion of storage, but the actual data is still on spinning rust. Journaling is clearly an internal aspect of the storage subsystem that is not exposed to end users, but the end result is the storage system should be faster and more scalable.

Likely this info doesn't help you at all other than to clarify that to you and me SSDs are not in the picture as of now.

Friday, February 1, 2013 9:02 PM

• Do you have a link to the article please?

He may have been referring to this:

New Windows Azure goes all-SSD to one-up Amazon in the cloud

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:31 PM