none
Update MS Access (.mdb) on Client Side RRS feed

• Question

• Hi people,

Is there is an easy way to update client side .mdb file?

My win-form based software is written in .NET that also has a mdb file distributed to every client.

As I am doing regular updates, sometime I have to do a DB change (add table etc.). I always found it is very hard to achieve as once the DB query is include in the software. It can never be deleted.

I am seeking a easy way to do this or a better way of this doing this?

Many thanks.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:04 AM

Answers

• I wouldn't say there is an easy method, but in most instances database structure and data object changes can be handled through the execution of Jet SQL DDL.

Fundamental Microsoft Jet SQL for Access 2000
    Intermediate Microsoft Jet SQL for Access 2000
    Advanced Microsoft Jet SQL for Access 2000

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    • Marked as answer by Yichun_Feng Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:06 AM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 1:16 PM
  • If your concern is that the DB is an Access database deployed on the client side and you are unable to update it forcibly, there is an easy solution for it. Make your application a self-updating app. I.e. one option is keep the updated mdb file is a centralized location e.g. a share path. When ever the client application starts, just copy the db over to the client machine, hence will always be the latest updated db. If the client db already has client specific data, just get the application to create the new database object in the DB. i.e. At start-up make the application run a few scripts that will update the db schema.
    • Marked as answer by Yichun_Feng Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:08 AM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 6:42 AM

All replies

• If your concern is that the DB is an Access database deployed on the client side and you are unable to update it forcibly, there is an easy solution for it. Make your application a self-updating app. I.e. one option is keep the updated mdb file is a centralized location e.g. a share path. When ever the client application starts, just copy the db over to the client machine, hence will always be the latest updated db. If the client db already has client specific data, just get the application to create the new database object in the DB. i.e. At start-up make the application run a few scripts that will update the db schema.
    • Marked as answer by Yichun_Feng Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:08 AM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 6:42 AM
  • I wouldn't say there is an easy method, but in most instances database structure and data object changes can be handled through the execution of Jet SQL DDL.

Fundamental Microsoft Jet SQL for Access 2000
    Intermediate Microsoft Jet SQL for Access 2000
    Advanced Microsoft Jet SQL for Access 2000

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    • Marked as answer by Yichun_Feng Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:06 AM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 1:16 PM
  • Thanks for you guys help.

Friday, August 21, 2009 11:34 PM
  • Thanks for that. Actually, that is what we have been doing.
    But found always hard.

Friday, August 21, 2009 11:34 PM