none
The Navigation Pannel barely wide enough to show first 2 chars of names of table or other Access object CANNOT MAKE WIDER. RRS feed

Answers

• ridders1952,

Good news

Now Access navigation pane is working.

AFTER I INSTALLED THE 

Cumulative Update that showed up today 12/12/19.    update was showing on my laptop on 12/12/19  I had not checked for updates from 12/8/19 to today 12/12/19 ( showed was unable to install on 12/3/19 STRANGE I got NO error msg about that. Update history shows error    0x800706ba

ALL ACCESS DATABASES,    NOW,  work the way they should for ALL the access databases that had problem with the Navigation pane before.

SEEMS IT WAS ALL MY FAULT, FOR DOWNLOADING A MICROSOFT "UPDATE" WITHOUT CHECKING TO SEE WHAT PROBLEMS THE CURRENT "QUALITY UPDATE" IS OR WILL CAUSE.

thank you for your help.

mark J

Mark J

• Marked as answer by PuzzledByWord Friday, December 13, 2019 12:50 AM
    Friday, December 13, 2019 12:50 AM

All replies

• What happens if you press F11 or click the chevron at the top?

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Sunday, December 1, 2019 1:27 PM
  • Hans,

First sorry it took so long to get back to you.

had several connection issues to internet.

NOW answer.

BOTH had an effect.

the width of the navigation panel toggled between wider and smaller. 

widest was what I showed in the pix.

narrowest was NO WIDTH at all.

Some of the databases had the problem others ( think old files were MDB files did not have this problem) 

I just created a new accdb file using the built in create a "new" blank database.  In case it was one of my AutoExec files.   I also again checked the setting for "this database" all were clicked to show. Of ones like Tables, Forms, etc.   ALSO when I clicked on show hidden files etc.  YES all the items that start with MSys showed up. BUT again, clicking on chevron or F12 would show at the max "MSys" or only the words "Navigation pane"

column would ONLY get wide enough to show "MSys" 

I hope this helps.

Mark J

Mark J

I forgot to mention that it seems I am now forced to have "OneDrive" running and "up to date" if I want to use a Office Suite 2016 program like Access, Word, Outlook.  Even if as far as I can tell I do NOT have anything in OneDrive.  and do NOT use it, due to I need to access my data OFF LINE.  VERY often. so Cloud storage does NOT make sense for me.   

• Edited by PuzzledByWord Sunday, December 8, 2019 5:27 AM forgot some info.
    Sunday, December 8, 2019 5:18 AM
  • Try the following - I found a suggestion in another thread where it solved the problem:

• Right-click an empty part of the navigation pane.
    • Click 'Search Bar' in the contect menu to unhighlight it
    • Right-click again.
    • Click 'Search Bar' in the contect menu to highlight it.
    • Now try to widen the navigation pane.

Make sure that the default file location (database location) for each application is on your hard disk, not on OneDrive.

Also, in Word. Excel and PowerPoint, select File > Options > Save, and tick the check box "Save to computer by default".

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Sunday, December 8, 2019 10:58 AM
  • For future reference, I have listed three solutions to this problem (which include those listed above) here:  Fix shrunken nav pane

Sunday, December 8, 2019 11:32 AM
  • Hans,

Did not work.

as far as I could tell showed exactly same amount.  Only "MSys" no more.

it did not make a difference if I clicked in blank space under items starting with MSYs    or

if I clicked on "Navigation pane" when only those two words were showing. got the same response. ONLY got as wide as shown in the pix above.

Mark J

Mark J

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 12:03 AM
  • ridders1952,

I have tried all 3 solutions.

none gave desired response.

I did add a msgbox to let me know that your vba code ran and exited "without errors"    it did.

no change in Nav pane.    Other than showing the standard module that I added you vba code.

I cut and pasted your code to avoid a typo by me.  when I ran debug no errors showed up. to run code AFTER the debug, save code and save module I then high-lighted the codes name, clicked on run.  ran no problems or errors.

just no change in width of nav pane, and no change in being able to make width wider than my pix above. still am able to shrink to only show words "Nav Pane"

any other ideas?

I do want to thank you for the 3 things to try.

mark J

Mark J

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 12:18 AM
  • Very odd. I've never known all of those solutions fail to work.

You could try the following functions in case any trigger it to behave properly

Public Function ShowNavigationPane()

On Error GoTo ErrHandler

DoCmd.SelectObject acForm, , True

Exit_ErrHandler:
        Exit Function

ErrHandler:
        MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " in ShowNavigationPane routine : " & Err.description, vbOKOnly + vbCritical
        Resume Exit_ErrHandler

End Function
    Public Function HideNavigationPane()

On Error GoTo ErrHandler

DoCmd.NavigateTo "acNavigationCategoryObjectType"
        DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdWindowHide

Exit_ErrHandler:
        Exit Function

ErrHandler:
        If Err = 3021 Or Err = 2450 Or Err = 3709 Or Err = 2046 Then Exit Function
        MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " in HideNavigationPane routine : " & Err.description, vbOKOnly + vbCritical
        Resume Exit_ErrHandler

End Function

Public Function MinimizeNavigationPane()

On Error GoTo ErrHandler

DoCmd.Minimize

Exit_ErrHandler:
        Exit Function

ErrHandler:
        MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " in MinimizeNavigationPane routine : " & Err.description, vbOKOnly + vbCritical
        Resume Exit_ErrHandler

End Function

Public Function MaximizeNavigationPane()

On Error GoTo ErrHandler

DoCmd.Maximize

Exit_ErrHandler:
        Exit Function

ErrHandler:
        MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " in MaximizeNavigationPane routine : " & Err.description, vbOKOnly + vbCritical
        Resume Exit_ErrHandler

End Function

If that doesn't help it may just be corruption.

Try decompiling your app. See http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftaccess/Performance/Decompile.asp

As a last resort, import all objects into a new databse

• Edited by isladogs52 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 3:34 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 10:47 AM
  • ridders1952,

this is a new one on me also.

Thanks for the New 4 things to try.

I had forgotten about doing a Decompile

as for a last resort, import all objects into a new database.

do you want me to import "MSys" objects also?     

As to why on that question.   I get the same symptoms  WHEN I      CREATE A NEW BASE USING "NEW" ON THE BACKGROUND MENU. OR "NEW" AFTER I CLICKED ON "FILE" ON THE RIBBON.

Mark J

Friday, December 13, 2019 12:32 AM
  • Hans,

Good news

AFTER I INSTALLED THE 

Cumulative Update that showed up today 12/12/19.    update was showing on my laptop on 12/12/19  I had not checked for updates from 12/8/19 to today 12/12/19 ( showed was unable to install on 12/3/19 STRANGE I got NO error msg about that. Update history shows error    0x800706ba

ALL ACCESS DATABASES,    NOW,  work the way they should for ALL the access databases that had problem with the Navigation pane before.

SEEMS IT WAS ALL MY FAULT, FOR DOWNLOADING A MICROSOFT "UPDATE" WITHOUT CHECKING TO SEE WHAT PROBLEMS THE CURRENT "QUALITY UPDATE" IS OR WILL CAUSE.

Mark J

Friday, December 13, 2019 12:47 AM
  • ridders1952,

Good news

AFTER I INSTALLED THE 

thank you for your help.

mark J

Mark J

• Marked as answer by PuzzledByWord Friday, December 13, 2019 12:50 AM
    Friday, December 13, 2019 12:50 AM