Child view referencing parent view RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to reference information from a parent table in a child form in MS Access 2013 web app views?  The related table control only seems to work in a parent form referencing child tables, and dragging parent table fields onto a child form makes them read-only.

Thanks.

• Edited by snuggle_bear Thursday, May 1, 2014 6:20 PM edited for clarity
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 3:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>Do you know if there is any way to reference data from a parent table in a child form?  I have a table for contacts, and I have a table for information gathered from each phone call to that contact.  So contacts is the "one" side (parent) and phone call is the "many" side (child). In the phone call form I want to be able to show information about the contact for that call.  Any way to do that?<<

Yes, we can add the fileds in other tables to the form like figure bleow:

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 8:56 AM

All replies

• I have been having the same issue, and I haven't yet found a way to make it work.

Basically, if you make a complex SQL command to call from two different tables (this is what happens when you drag a field from a parent table except Access does the work for you), you can VIEW the information, but as you said you cannot edit it.

I wrote a data macro that is able to get information from another table and store it in the current table, but this isn't really a solution. I am currently working on being able to show the info that the data macro pulls up in an input field.

The logic here is: open child --> call data macro that pulls parent info --> display ReturnVar info in a child field

The problem is that I cannot figure out how to do the last step.

Sorry for making an "I can't help you" answer so long, but I'm hoping that maybe we can figure this out together.

Friday, May 2, 2014 12:13 AM
  • Hi,

Usually we will create a main form to view the parent table and a sub form to view the child table. A good example are Orders and OrderDetails like figure below:

You can create this sample simply searched the word like below:

Hope it is helpful.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, May 2, 2014 5:59 AM
  • Hi Dr. Cole,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I don't know much about data macros, so unfortunately I don't know how to do the last step you mentioned.  Hopefully someone will come along who knows the answer to that.  If not then I guess I'll just have to use a parent form with a child subform, even though that's not really what I want to do.

Fei,

Do you know if there is any way to reference data from a parent table in a child form?  I have a table for contacts, and I have a table for information gathered from each phone call to that contact.  So contacts is the "one" side (parent) and phone call is the "many" side (child). In the phone call form I want to be able to show information about the contact for that call.  Any way to do that?

Friday, May 2, 2014 2:29 PM
  • Hi,

>>Do you know if there is any way to reference data from a parent table in a child form?  I have a table for contacts, and I have a table for information gathered from each phone call to that contact.  So contacts is the "one" side (parent) and phone call is the "many" side (child). In the phone call form I want to be able to show information about the contact for that call.  Any way to do that?<<

Best regards

Fei

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

Best regards

Fei

From my experience, doing this disables editing for this view. In fact, any attempt to combine fields from two different tables into one view always results in disabled editing. Is there a way around this?
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 4:22 PM