migration from oracle connection issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I  am trying to use SSMA fro migrating oracle 8i to SQL 2008 R2. I hav esome questions.

1)Do i need to install Extension pack on my local machine or on the destination sql server machine?

2) When i trying to connect to the oracle from SSMA i am getting the error "Connection to this server are no longer supported"

So is this really mean that the SSMA which i am using does not have compatibility with oracle 8i?

If this is the case then what is the solution?

Thanks

dimrd_SQL
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:37 PM

All replies

• Hello,

SSMA for Oracle v4.2 supports Oracle 7.3 and later.

Please install SSMA Extension Pack on the server where the SQL Server is located.

Take not that extension pack cannot be installed on Windows XP and requires Oracle 8.1.7 or later. For more information, please see the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9DFB1773-5594-44A9-869F-A891629F80A5&displaylang=en

Hope this helps.   

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Proposed as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Friday, November 12, 2010 11:11 AM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:26 AM
  • I have window XP on my local computer. 

Does this is the reason that is stopping me to install extension pack?

If so then what shall i do to solve the problem?

I think i have oracle client higher than 8.1.7

Please suggest me whta shall i do to install extension pack and to connect to Oracle.

Thanks

dimrd_SQL
    Friday, November 12, 2010 2:31 AM
  • Hello,

Extension Pack cannot be installed on Windows XP, that is stopping the installation. This is by design.

You will have to install on another operating system or create a virtual machine using another operating system like Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008.

Hope this helps.   

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, November 12, 2010 4:46 AM
  • is it possible that if someone else install extension pack on that server from his machine or by remote desktop and things start working.

secondly i have other issue also when i am trying to connect to the Oracle server it gives me this error

Error:Connections to this server version are no longer supported.

What is your opinon Alberto

But thanks for your suggestions once again

dimrd_SQL
    Friday, November 12, 2010 1:34 PM
  • Hello,

No, there is no way you can install the Extension Pack on Windows XP.

About the error you are receiving “Connections to this server version are no longer supported” that is an error on the Oracle side (ORA-03134). That error means that the Oracle client you have installed is not compatible with the version of Oracle you have. You need to either find the client (you must find an older client version) compatible with that Oracle version or upgrade your Oracle server.

Hope this helps.   

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by SQL_BOSS Friday, November 12, 2010 6:13 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by SQL_BOSS Friday, November 12, 2010 6:13 PM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 2:38 PM
  • Thanks 

if i will have any other problem i will share

Now i am looking for oracle client 8.1.7 that is what the oracle db is on.

I was trying to install that extension  pack from my local machine and i was thinking that if the other person will do RDP on that server he might able to install that.

As i am not having any sysadmin access on that box. The other person have that. 

thanks & regards

dimrd_SQL
    Friday, November 12, 2010 3:30 PM
  • And i forgot to ask that is there any other way to transfer schema to sql side. i heard a tool DB artisan that also do the same as ssma but that is not available free i think.

Actually as you might know here we have the schema on oracle side which is very different from oracle side actually it is very normalized. So what i was thinking that i should export the schema by SSMA in some staging database and data also in the same instance and once its in sql i can easily put that into my real database.

is this approach is right?

What do you think if SSMA will not function which methid should i follow?

Thanks

dimrd_SQL
    Friday, November 12, 2010 3:37 PM
  • Alberto

Is there any other way apart from using SSMA can we use SSIS streight for transfering schema and Data to one staging Db in the same instance. As i do not know uptill now that what table data of oracle should go to which table in SQL SERVER?

Thanks

dimrd_SQL
    Friday, November 12, 2010 7:51 PM