Touch and hold feature isn't working on the Start screen

Question

• Original title: "Acer W500 and Windows 8"

I am having issues with the Metro UI and touch input. While everything seems to work, I cannot get the touch and hold features to work. Therefore I cannot unpin, add tiles, etc... When I do a long hold, nothing happens. When I connect my Bluetooth mouse, I can do all of the other actions with a right click. Any suggestions? 

Live like you were dying....

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:56 PM

Answers

• When using the metro ui, right click isn't achieved by click/&/hold
    To unpin tiles etc; press the tile & pull it downwards slightly.

Generally flicking downwards is used as right click in the start screen & metro apps,
    but there is a little bit of variation in some of the example apps they give you.

[ Its not about being grown up, its about being strategically childish] www.CrisRowlands.com www.1800PocketPC.com
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Hey everyone,

In addition to CrisRowlands' description above, try following the steps below if you are still having problems getting a tile to be selected with a right click using the touch functionality in the Start screen:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Touch and hold your finger on a tile
    • Slide your finder down slowly (maintaining contact with the screen) until you see outside edge of the tile turn dark green
    • Once you see the outside edge change color, release your finger

This will select the tile with a right click. Once you get a feel for how much distance is required to select a tile with right click the sequence to select with right click (touch, hold, swipe down, release) becomes much quicker.

Hope that helps.

@WM Ngan: I haven't found a place in the Network portions of the desktop Control Panel where the touch and hold doesn't function properly when dealing with icons. Please further describe where you are encountering this problem or possibly provide steps for us to follow to see if we encounter the same problem.

Steven
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:39 AM

All replies

• Sensitivity settings.  It sounds like the screen is taking too long to report.  I'm guessing but I remember a similar problem in using my onscreen keyboard.  I hope the idea helps. :-)
    Jerry Babiome
    Friday, September 23, 2011 12:03 AM
  • I have checked those settings before, but for the heck of it, I did it again. The right click setting is set lower than the normal click or tap now, but it made no difference. If I go into desktop mode, the hold to right-click works perfectly. It seems to be a problem only while in the Metro UI. Is there anyplace to adjust the settings of the Metro touch settings? Thanks!
    Live like you were dying....
    Friday, September 23, 2011 5:14 AM
  • When using the metro ui, right click isn't achieved by click/&/hold
    To unpin tiles etc; press the tile & pull it downwards slightly.

Generally flicking downwards is used as right click in the start screen & metro apps,
    but there is a little bit of variation in some of the example apps they give you.

[ Its not about being grown up, its about being strategically childish] www.CrisRowlands.com www.1800PocketPC.com
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 6:26 AM
  • I also can not get this to work on my Acer W500, it was the only thing that I could not get working so I just plugged in a USB mouse and used that to right click and unpin things. 

Ian

Monday, September 26, 2011 8:35 PM
  • I have encountered another "press and hold" to right click bug on my Acer W501. This time it is in the Networks menu. I cannot do the "press and hold" right click to bring out the options to delete those wifi profiles. However I can perform the maneuver normally with a mouse.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Hey everyone,

In addition to CrisRowlands' description above, try following the steps below if you are still having problems getting a tile to be selected with a right click using the touch functionality in the Start screen:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Touch and hold your finger on a tile
    • Slide your finder down slowly (maintaining contact with the screen) until you see outside edge of the tile turn dark green
    • Once you see the outside edge change color, release your finger

This will select the tile with a right click. Once you get a feel for how much distance is required to select a tile with right click the sequence to select with right click (touch, hold, swipe down, release) becomes much quicker.

Hope that helps.

@WM Ngan: I haven't found a place in the Network portions of the desktop Control Panel where the touch and hold doesn't function properly when dealing with icons. Please further describe where you are encountering this problem or possibly provide steps for us to follow to see if we encounter the same problem.

Steven
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:39 AM
  • This will select the tile with a right click.

@ Steven

I don't think this unique to an Acer?  So perhaps it would help to elaborate on that description.  FWIW (not on an Acer) I see a green triangle with a checkmark in it applied to the top right of the selected tile.  In addition I see a Task bar with the options:  Uninstall and Unpin *only*.   Should there perhaps be another option there which would let the selected app start?   I thought I was having problems with my touch "clicking" (on an HP TouchSmart tx2) but now I'm not so sure it will be its (not n-Trig) driver that could be doing that.   FWIW dragging works fine (but only with Display Only or Duplicate, e.g. via Win-P).

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:10 PM
  • Hey Robert,

Yeah the touch and drag down method should work on any computer with a touchscreen. I'm updating the title of the thread now.

The bar on the bottom of the Start screen which appears when you right click or touch and drag down is called the App bar. For regular applications you'll get the option to Run or Run as administrator in the App bar's Advanced icon, but Metro style applications can only be opened by using a tap with your finger or a left click of the mouse.

Also, Microsoft is monitoring these forums for issues and concerns. This will be reported up so that the right people are made aware of your concern.

Steven
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:04 PM