none
custom-data, message-id and internal-message-id fields in message tracking logs RRS feed

• Question

• 1. In exchange server 2010 message tracking logs, what does the custom-data refers?. There are some values like S:purpotedSender or something like"S:FirsForestHop".  What does these refer for?. 

2. As far as i know for each messages an unique message-id will be generated. (Not sure am correct in this!). But I have seen in my Message Tracking Logs, there are some 100+ entries as SMTP, RECEIVE with same message-id and different internal-message-id. What does it means?. 

prasath

Friday, May 3, 2013 11:21 AM

All replies

• 2. The MessageId is the standard RFC field that is assigned by the MTA server (or client if applicable) so not necessarily Exchange. It is unique, but what you maybe looking at in the log is the same message that is being delivered to different recipients. Eg if you have one message that gets forked because it has multiple recipients you will have multiple log entries. The Internal-MessageId is a special id that is assigned by the current Exchange server that should be unique if your tracking the same message being delivered to multiple users across multiple servers.

1. Sounds like SenderID information to me

Cheers
    Glen

Monday, May 6, 2013 6:39 AM