none
License (et parameter) is not passed by Outlook for Windows (desktop) to the add-in RRS feed

  • Question

  • We developed an add-in for Outlook which is published in the store already. It has paid and trial versions. License checking in the add-in works fine if the add-in is used from a browser, Outlook for Mac. But if it is Outlook for Windows or outlook.live.com (versions where "add-in commands" feature is enabled and add-in is opened in a side bar) then no license information is passed.

    Example:
    #1 This correct URL is navigated from outlook web and outlook mac:

    https://serverurl?et=%3cr+v%3d%221%22%3e%3ct..............

    #2 This is how the URL looks like for outlook windows:
    https://serverurl?_host_Info=Outlook|Win32|16.01|en-US

    So, since Outlook for Windows does not supply license information we have to refuse add-in access for our clients on Outlook for Windows.

    Guys, any ideas where the problem is or what to check in the manifest?

    Friday, December 9, 2016 6:46 PM

All replies

  • Hi DenisAtGrinMark,

    I try to find the solution for the issue mentioned in the above post.

    unfortunately I did not find any useful things that can solve your issue.

    so I try to involve some senior engineers to look in to this issue.

    I escalate this issue to them.

    after this they will try to suggest you a possible solution to solve this issue.

    generally it takes little more time to get the response from them.

    so till they contact you please have patients.

    thanks for understanding.

    Regards

    Deepak


    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

    Monday, December 12, 2016 4:42 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Deepak,

    Thanks for looking into the issue. I'll be waiting for an update from you.

    Regards,

    Denis

    Monday, December 12, 2016 10:39 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

    Today I noticed that Microsoft enabled sidebar in Outlook Web as well. So our plugin can not check license on the majority of Outlook versions.

    The only solution I see is to make the plugin free in the Office Store and sell it to customers directly.

    Any news on the issue?

    Regards,

    Denis

    Thursday, December 15, 2016 3:47 PM
  • Hi DenisAtGrinMark,

    I already escalate this issue to my superiors and also made them remember about the issue when you last time updated the information.

    Since the issue is complex, I suggest you contacting Microsoft support to raise an incident so that our engineer could work closely with him to identify the root cause and resolve this issue as soon as possible.
    If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged. 
    Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs.

    Microsoft Support

    Regards

    Deepak


    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

    Friday, December 16, 2016 6:56 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Deepak,

    I already tried various ways of contacting Microsoft Support before posting to this forum. And finally they directed me here. So we have an infinite loop.

    It's easier for us to sell through another channel at this point. If the issue will be resolved we will reconsider.

    Regards,

    Denis

    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:04 PM
  • Found interesting peace of information that may explain what happens to some extent.

    https://msdn.microsoft.com/EN-US/library/office/jj163257.aspx

    It says: "If the user is not signed in to their Microsoft account, the Office application requesting the add-in home page does not append the license token parameter."

    But in many cases users are signed in with their Office365 Enterprise corporate user names which obviously are not Microsoft accounts!

    I also wonder how enterprise users are supposed to use paid Outlook add-ins. When such a user tries to install a plugin it is directed to Microsoft Account sign-in page. But this page refuses to login with corporate email address. If a plugin is installed with unrelated Microsoft Account (which can be done just once per account by the way) then license info is not passed because email user is a corporate one, not Microsoft account.

    Regards,

    Denis

    Friday, December 23, 2016 2:34 PM