Accessing MainPage member

Question

• I am doing some socket programming in C++ metro app. This is mainly based on the DataGramSocket sample in the Samples collection. But instead of using a separate class for handling the MessageRecived event of DatagrasmSocket I am using a function OnMessage() in the MainPage itself for handling replies from socket. And from this method, once I got the value I needed from the socket reply, I am trying to display the value in a TextBlock in the MainPage by calling a function Display() which is also in the MainPage class. But when I try to update the TextBlock control with the value I got from the OnMessage() callback, the app crashes complaining about access violation. I am initilaising and calling the sokcet function BindServiceNameAsync() from MainPage::OnNavigatedTo(). I am getting the required  value from socket anyway and socket is working fine. What could be wrong? . The call to Display() is working fine and when debugging I can see that the control passes to MainPage::Display() and the crash is exactly at updating the TextBlock control. What wrong have I done?

public ref class MainPage sealed
    {
    void MainPage::OnNavigatedTo(NavigationEventArgs^ e)
    {
    DatagramSocket^ listener = ref new DatagramSocket();
    listener->MessageReceived += ref new TypedEventHandler<DatagramSocket^, DatagramSocketMessageReceivedEventArgs^>(this, &MainPage::OnMessage);

task<void>(listener->BindServiceNameAsync(ServiceNameForListener->Text)).then([this] (task<void> previousTask)
    {

});
    }

void OnMessage(DatagramSocket^ socket, DatagramSocketMessageReceivedEventArgs^ eventArguments)
    {
    // I got the value i needede so post value to MaiPage
    Display( val );

}

void Display( String^ val )
    {
    Outputtxt->Text = val; // crash here
    }

private:

MainPage^ rootPage;

};

Sunday, August 05, 2012 6:46 AM

Answers

• Is your socket callback running on the UI thread?

UI elements can only be accessed from the UI thread, although I'd expect a different error code. You can transition the call back to the dispatcher thread with CoreDispatcher.RunAsync.

--Rob
    Sunday, August 05, 2012 7:12 PM
    Owner
  • Oops! I should have done it as follows:

String^ ValueToPost= "Hello";

Dispatcher->RunAsync( CoreDispatcherPriority::Normal, ref new DispatchedHandler([this, ValueToPost ] ()
           {
               CallMyFunc( ValueToPost );
           }));

It works..Thank you Rob !

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Friday, August 24, 2012 6:58 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:56 AM

All replies

• Is your socket callback running on the UI thread?

UI elements can only be accessed from the UI thread, although I'd expect a different error code. You can transition the call back to the dispatcher thread with CoreDispatcher.RunAsync.

--Rob
    Sunday, August 05, 2012 7:12 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you Rob . My socket callback is running on UI thread. I tried with CoreDispatcher but that too is giving me access violation.

Monday, August 06, 2012 4:40 AM
  • Oops! I should have done it as follows:

String^ ValueToPost= "Hello";

Dispatcher->RunAsync( CoreDispatcherPriority::Normal, ref new DispatchedHandler([this, ValueToPost ] ()
           {
               CallMyFunc( ValueToPost );
           }));

It works..Thank you Rob !

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Friday, August 24, 2012 6:58 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:56 AM