Where are the Unit Test extended properties in VS 2012? RRS feed

• Question

• In VS 2010, when a unit test is selected, I could open the properties window and find a great deal of information.  The same is NOT true in VS 2012.  Where do I find the same information in VS 2012?

Monday, June 24, 2013 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

In VS2012, there are not some wizards such as Data Connection String, Data Provider Name and Data Access Method in Properties of a test method used to specify the data source.

In order to bind a data source to a test method in VS2012, you need to add and specify DataSource attribute manually for the test method.

For more information, please see:

How To: Create a Data-Driven Unit Test

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Friday, July 5, 2013 1:45 AM
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:21 AM
  • Hello,

As far as I know, there is no Test Category window in VS2012. You need to add the TestCategory attribute at test method level in test class manually.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:12 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

In VS2012, there are not some wizards such as Data Connection String, Data Provider Name and Data Access Method in Properties of a test method used to specify the data source.

In order to bind a data source to a test method in VS2012, you need to add and specify DataSource attribute manually for the test method.

For more information, please see:

How To: Create a Data-Driven Unit Test

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:21 AM
  • I was referring to ALL of the properties, not just the section where I placed the text. 

I was really looking for the testcategory information in this window as I found it very easy to add that information to existing tests without having to open the source code and find it. 

I am really disappointed in the way VS 2012 obviated many useful and desired features of VS 2010.  Please send them my regards! 

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:00 PM
  • In VS2012 you can access this data through the new Test Explorer window. You can now group and organize your tests by Traits to gain access to both TestCategory and TestProperty.

In VS2012 we have added support for multiple 3rd party test frameworks. To support this feature we must look to source code to check for test attributes. In the example below you can see both XUnit and MSTest tests mixed in the same test class and file.

Thanks,

Joshua Weber

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Is the test category window available in VS 2012?

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:44 PM
  • Hello,

As far as I know, there is no Test Category window in VS2012. You need to add the TestCategory attribute at test method level in test class manually.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:12 AM