none
creating a web service frm wsdl RRS feed

• Question

• I have received from a vendor some wsdl files and client application code that has a web reference to theses wsdl's. But I need to write a web service using the wsdl's. As I am new to the world of web services I do not know how to do this. Any help would be appreciated. I am using VS2012 and Vb.net language.

I noticed that other similar questions were under the Archived A-B/ASMX Web services but I do not see that as an optin any longer.

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 9:05 PM

All replies

• Do you need to consume the webservice in a client (use it) or to create a webservice. 

However, read first all the information on this page and the links and do for instance some tutorials.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd456779(v=vs.110).aspx

The time that you wrote your own WSDL is far behind us, currently it is generated.

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 10:11 PM
  • if your question is about consuming the webservice using the wsdl, here is the answer:

1. Save the WSDL in your local folder.

2. In the solution explorer, right click on service references and add reference.

3. Give the location of the wsdl in your address box.

4. Create a proxy object and start using the service client.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 10:33 PM
  • I just discovered something. I already have the client code that accesses the web service (sent from the vendor). The WSDL files are included in the client application as Web references (located on their server). Basically the client application would be sending XML files/requests which would be processed and verified to the WSDL on their end. So after reading some simple samples online about creating web services and client applications, it looks like I would just need to "publish" the web service from the client application if I am understanding it correctly. But I am still a little unclear on how to do that. I am using VS2012 and Vb.net. Most of the samples online are using Java or C#. Any documentation would be helpful.

thanks.

If I need to start a new thread since this is a different question let me know.

Thursday, September 4, 2014 2:22 PM