none
Access 2016 Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I was reading about Access 2016 and I noticed now it has a full SQL backend.

1. Does this mean that Access can now support filestreams?

2. What versions of SQL can Access connect to now? Does this include access to the Azure SQL too?

3. What are the new limits of Access 2016 now since it's based on SQL now...does it inherit the limits from SQL? 

• Edited by ResidentX10 Friday, February 5, 2016 1:18 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:33 PM

Answers

• I don't view there to be an appreciable change in 2016.  Access has always been able to link to another non-Access SQL databases with of course some appreciation of the various flavors of SQL implementation that exist in the commercial world.

There is of course semantics; as in SQL generically meaning 'structured query language' which Access and all classic database brands rely upon - versus SQL Server which is a brand name for a Microsoft product but is often loosely referred to as just SQL when one is in a casual dialog within the Microsoft universe.....

Access continues to be a PC based solution fundamentally in terms of its pay load.  PCs are very powerful so you get a great bang for the buck.

• Marked as answer by ResidentX10 Thursday, February 4, 2016 5:30 PM
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 3:49 PM

All replies

• Hi ResidentX10,

>> I was reading about Access 2016 and I noticed now it has a full SQL backend.
    Do you develop with Access 2016 client database or Access 2016 web app?

>> Does this mean that Access can now support filestreams?
    From Access client and web app, there is no such field. I think you could not use filestreams.

>> What versions of SQL can Access connect to now? Does this include access to the Azure SQL too?
    How did you connect, with ado or link table? In my option, Access support most versions of SQL server. Access database supports connections to sql Azure over ODBC.

>> What are the new limits of Access 2016 now since it's based on SQL now...does it inherit the limits from SQL?
    For this, you could refer the link below:
    # Access 2016 specifications
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Access-2016-specifications-0cf3c66f-9cf2-4e32-9568-98c1025bb47c

In addition, for a general suggestion about asking questions, I suggest you post one thread for one question, then we would supply you more information about the specific issue.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 6:22 AM
  • I don't view there to be an appreciable change in 2016.  Access has always been able to link to another non-Access SQL databases with of course some appreciation of the various flavors of SQL implementation that exist in the commercial world.

There is of course semantics; as in SQL generically meaning 'structured query language' which Access and all classic database brands rely upon - versus SQL Server which is a brand name for a Microsoft product but is often loosely referred to as just SQL when one is in a casual dialog within the Microsoft universe.....

Access continues to be a PC based solution fundamentally in terms of its pay load.  PCs are very powerful so you get a great bang for the buck.

• Marked as answer by ResidentX10 Thursday, February 4, 2016 5:30 PM
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 3:49 PM
  • I haven't told you everything. I need to give a DWAAS presentation and I need to make sure my information is current. DWAAS has  a lot of gotchas to work properly.
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 5:30 PM
  • Also, my question was focused on "Azure SQL"...It works a little bit differently than SQL Onpremise...no joins, etc.

I just wonder if Access can be frontended to that.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 5:41 PM
  • Access can front end to Azure just as it can link to the SQL Server product.  Azure is a big product.  There is nothing embedded within Access that makes Azure easy.  One must learn Azure to do this.

...also I do not know what DWAAS means......

Thursday, February 4, 2016 5:54 PM
  • Data Warehousing As A Service(DWAAS). Sorry...
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 6:04 PM