Cannot find anymore the Template VM's from the Dynamics-GP offer.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've been using Azure to work with a demo VM running SQL server and Dynamics GP.. The VM was created back in 2016 or 2017, based on a Marketplace template Dynamics-GP 2013-R2-Developer I believe.. 

Today I wanted to build a new VM based on that same template, but it was nowhere to find in the Marketplace.. so I did a quick research and found out that you can actually use PowerShell commands to search the marketplace catalog and create new VM's based on those templates.. 

I wasn't successful in creating the VM thru PS since the code implies to pass authentication with the parameter  -Credential $cred `,

but somehow that didn't seem to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    @GP_Beat

Edit:  

Tried to create the VM thru the Azure-CLI prompt and got an error message returned, saying it couldn't find the Image file.. though it is still listed ??

az vm create --resource-group DynGP2015 --name DynGP2015 --image MicrosoftDynamicsGP:Dynamics-GP:2015-Developer:latest --admin-username bbucher --admin-password ********
    Querying the image of 'MicrosoftDynamicsGP:Dynamics-GP2015:2015-Developer:latest' failed for an error 'Artifact: VMImage was not found.'. Configuring plan settings will be skipped

PS: there was a typo in the URN.. but nonetheless, when trying to show the URN with the proper image name, it returns :

az vm image show --urn 'MicrosoftDynamicsGP:Dynamics-GP:2013-R2-Developer:latest'
    Can't resolve the vesion of 'MicrosoftDynamicsGP:Dynamics-GP:2013-R2-Developer'

Thursday, November 8, 2018 9:37 PM

Answers

• Just FYI, I am still working offline on this but it does seem the image was removed from the marketplace. So I am working to get it fully removed so it doesn't show up in the image marketplace using powershell from here on out. 
    Tuesday, November 27, 2018 12:21 AM

All replies

• Well this is not something only you are facing. I also tried to get this to work and I am continually met with the "Image Not Found" error even though it is listed in the marketplace. 

Using this doc I was able to get the publisher information needed

$locName="EastUS"
    Get-AzureRMVMImagePublisher -Location $locName | Select PublisherName

$pubName="MicrosoftDynamicsGP"
    Get-AzureRMVMImageOffer -Location $locName -Publisher $pubName | Select Offer

$offerName="Dynamics-GP"
    Get-AzureRMVMImageSku -Location $locName -Publisher $pubName -Offer $offerName | Select Skus

$skuName="2015-Developer"
    Get-AzureRMVMImage -Location $locName -Publisher $pubName -Offer $offerName -Sku $skuName | Select Version

From there this is the commands that SHOULD work to create the VM

Login-AzureRmAccount
    Get-AzureRmSubscription
    Select-AzureRmSubscription -SubscriptionID XXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX

# Variables for common values
    $resourceGroup = "RESOURCE_GROUP_NAME"
    $location = "LOCATION"
    $vmName = "VM_NAME"
    $cred = Get-Credential -Message "Enter a username and password for the virtual machine."

# Create a resource group
    New-AzureRmResourceGroup -Name $resourceGroup -Location $location

# Create a subnet configuration
    $subnetConfig = New-AzureRmVirtualNetworkSubnetConfig -Name mySubnet -AddressPrefix 192.168.1.0/24

# Create a virtual network
    $vnet = New-AzureRmVirtualNetwork -ResourceGroupName $resourceGroup -Location $location `
      -Name MYvNET -AddressPrefix 192.168.0.0/16 -Subnet $subnetConfig

# Create a public IP address and specify a DNS name
    $pip = New-AzureRmPublicIpAddress -ResourceGroupName $resourceGroup -Location $location `
      -Name "mypublicdns$(Get-Random)" -AllocationMethod Static -IdleTimeoutInMinutes 4

# Create an inbound network security group rule for port 3389
    $nsgRuleRDP = New-AzureRmNetworkSecurityRuleConfig -Name myNetworkSecurityGroupRuleRDP  -Protocol Tcp `
      -Direction Inbound -Priority 1000 -SourceAddressPrefix * -SourcePortRange * -DestinationAddressPrefix * `
      -DestinationPortRange 3389 -Access Allow

# Create a network security group
    $nsg = New-AzureRmNetworkSecurityGroup -ResourceGroupName $resourceGroup -Location $location `
      -Name myNetworkSecurityGroup -SecurityRules $nsgRuleRDP

# Create a virtual network card and associate with public IP address and NSG
    $nic = New-AzureRmNetworkInterface -Name myNic -ResourceGroupName $resourceGroup -Location $location `
      -SubnetId $vnet.Subnets[0].Id -PublicIpAddressId $pip.Id -NetworkSecurityGroupId $nsg.Id

# Create a virtual machine configuration
    $vmConfig = New-AzureRmVMConfig -VMName $vmName -VMSize Standard_D1 | `
    Set-AzureRmVMOperatingSystem -Windows -ComputerName $vmName -Credential $cred | `
    Set-AzureRmVMSourceImage -PublisherName MicrosoftDynamicsGP -Offer Dynamics-GP -Skus 2013-Developer -Version latest | `
    Add-AzureRmVMNetworkInterface -Id $nic.Id

# Create a virtual machine
    New-AzureRmVM -ResourceGroupName $resourceGroup -Location $location -VM $vmConfig

However, the error I am also getting is 

New-AzureRmVM : The platform image 'MicrosoftDynamicsGP:Dynamics-GP:2013-Developer:latest' is not available. Verify that all fields in the storage profile are correct.
    ErrorCode: ImageNotFound
    ErrorMessage: The platform image 'MicrosoftDynamicsGP:Dynamics-GP:2013-Developer:latest' is not available. Verify that all fields in the storage profile are correct.
    ErrorTarget: imageReference
    StatusCode: 404
    ReasonPhrase: Not Found
    OperationID : b5ccdd56-8c25-40f2-a543-93bf3b91253e
    At line:1 char:1
    + New-AzureRmVM -ResourceGroupName $resourceGroup -Location $location - ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (:) [New-AzureRmVM], ComputeCloudException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Azure.Commands.Compute.NewAzureVMCommand

To make sure it wasn't just me, I also ran the script using a Windows 2016 image which succeeded. 

$vmConfig = New-AzureRmVMConfig -VMName $vmName -VMSize Standard_D1 | `
    Set-AzureRmVMOperatingSystem -Windows -ComputerName $vmName -Credential $cred | `
    Set-AzureRmVMSourceImage -PublisherName MicrosoftWindowsServer -Offer WindowsServer -Skus 2016-Datacenter -Version latest | `
    Add-AzureRmVMNetworkInterface -Id $nic.Id

I am going to check with some of the backend teams to figure out what is going on. If this image is available then we should be able to use it. Otherwise, if it is no longer available then we should make sure to remove it from the marketplace. 

I will let you know what I hear back :) 

Saturday, November 10, 2018 1:53 AM
  • Thank you very much Micah,

I did try to setup a Win2016 and it worked too.. so I'm pretty sure that all 3 Dynamics GP images must have been removed, but not cleared from the marketplace.. which is sad, as it saves a ton of time when it comes to setup a new demo environment for dev & testing. 

@GP_Geek - MS Dynamics GP SME - MBS MVP 2015-2018 - bit.ly/gp-geek

Saturday, November 10, 2018 1:58 AM
  • That is kind of what I am thinking as well.....

Well, in the meantime, we can get a work around going for you. 

For example, since you already have this image provisioned you could copy the disk, create a new VM from that disk, then capture an image of the disk to use for any new deployments. 

Or, you could spin up a blank VM, install all the needed software and what not, capture an image of the VM and use that for any new deployments. 

I would be happy to provide some documentation around that if it is something you are interested in doing while I work to find out if the images are actually removed. 

Saturday, November 10, 2018 2:01 AM
  • Yes.. that what I was thinking too.

The thing is that my current VM was too much altered from the original and upgraded several times the GP version (at the time 2013R2) up to 2018 R2.. 

I'm going to start from scratch with a new VM, trying to get a suitable SQL version on it (unfortunately there is no longer any SQL2012 image around) to be able to setup GP 2015R2 and then save this as a template for me. 

Would appreciate to get some links on how to create a re-usable template from a running VM.. 

Thanks for your tips.

Saturday, November 10, 2018 2:05 AM
  • No problem! This should be all you need

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/capture-image-resource

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/create-vm-generalized-managed?toc=%2fazure%2fvirtual-machines%2fwindows%2ftoc.json

Once you have the image in the portal, you can also deploy straight from there by going to Images

Once you select an image it will have a create VM option. You can deploy as many VMs from that single image as you like. 

I will update you once I hear more about that specific marketplace image. I dont expect to hear anything back until next week but will update you regardless. 

Saturday, November 10, 2018 2:29 AM
  • Great !

Thanks for the links. Going to check them out over the week-end.

Best,
    B@

Saturday, November 10, 2018 2:31 AM
  • Just FYI, I am still working offline on this but it does seem the image was removed from the marketplace. So I am working to get it fully removed so it doesn't show up in the image marketplace using powershell from here on out. 
    Tuesday, November 27, 2018 12:21 AM
  • Hi Micah,

Thanks for your follow-up.. I've managed to be able to create a new VM based on the market place image with Win2012 & SQL 2012.. though it doesn't have all the tools that were part of the Dynamics GP images, like VST & Dexterity tools, but at least I was able to quickly rebuild a functional GP 2013R2 demo system. 

I'm going to snapshot the OS disk and create a few other Dynamics GP instances based on this model, to have one for 2015 & 2018 versions. 

Thanks again for you help.

B@

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:23 PM