How to get Entity Data Model Designer Extension Starter Kit up and running? RRS feed

• Question

• overview

• I have visual studio 2010 Professional
    • downloaded Visual Studio Extension SDK and installed it
    • downloaded ADO.NET Entity Data Model Designer Extension Starter Kit (March 5 2010)
    • if I double click EntityDesignerExtensionStarterKit_CS.vsix -> "This extension is not installable on any currently installed products"
    • If I open EntityDesignerExtensionStarterKit_CS.vsix in visual studio 2010 I get a hex - ascii display and nothing else

ultimate goal

would like to customize EF4 designer to add extra information to csdl-elements like tables, associations and columns and influence reading and writing of edmx

Questions

What do I have to do?

Thanks for any help getting the starter kit to somehow show up in visual studio so that I can have a look at how it works or even more than that...

• Moved by Alan_chen Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:41 AM extensibility (From:ADO.NET Entity Framework and LINQ to Entities)
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:45 PM

Answers

• great, I just love wasting time...

So, problem solved (OMG)   

after just copying the *.cs files directly into new VSPackage project a small but important detail was missing:

• double click source.extension.vsixmanifest file
    • go to grid titled Content
    • click Add Content
    • in combobox Select a content type choose MEF Component
    • select a source choose Project

NOW it does work...

• Edited by CodeDigger Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:21 AM solved
    • Marked as answer by CodeDigger Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:21 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:54 AM

All replies

• Hi CodeDigger,

Thanks for your post.

I think you need to add an entry for professional edition in the .manifest file as,

<SupportedProducts>
    <VisualStudio Version="10.0">
    <Edition>VST_All</Edition>
    <Edition>Express_All</Edition>
    <Edition>Pro_All</Edition>
    </VisualStudio>
    </SupportedProducts>

You can follow the steps,

1 rename the download file's extension as .zip and extract the file

2 uncheck the readonly property of .vsixmanifest file and double click to open the file in visual studio, click select editions and check professional, then save it. 

3 compress the three files to .zip and modify the extension to .vsix.

P.S. Please do not compress the folder but make the three files (.XML .ZIP .VSIXMANIFEST) on the root.

Then you can install it by double click.

Hope my reply helps resolve your issue.

Best Regards,

Ziwei Chen

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Edited by Victor_Chen Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:56 AM modify manifest
    • Marked as answer by CodeDigger Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:59 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by CodeDigger Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:12 AM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:43 AM
  • Hi Victor (or anybody)?

I marked it as answered because it got me a little further: I was able to open and install but got straight away stuck again

overview

visual studio NOT running
    • I install starter kit, last line of install log:
      Install to Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional completed successfully. The extension has been installed to C:\Users\Developer\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Extensions\Microsoft\Entity Designer Extension Starter Kit (C#)\1.0\
    • When I start VS and create new project I can't find any starter kit etc. anywhere, so stuck there
    • But I can uninstall it in VS via Tools|Extension Manager, so yes it was installed...

I also created a new VSIX project and copied everything into it, and installed that one, no difference

questions

• The starter kit is supposed to demonstrate how an extension can integrate with the entity designer?
    • The starter kit is supposed to actually work on its own (without changes) adding a property to an entity in the entity designer?
    • The starter kit is supposed to provide a template for new projects attempting to integrate with the entity designer?

I get the impression the answer to all three questions is yes, but none of it seems to work. One can only install and uninstall, but it does not integrate with entity designer (new properties are not visible in entity designer), it does not provide a project template (starter kit template) for new projects.

HELP...

• Edited by CodeDigger Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:17 AM typo
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:39 AM
  • Hi CodeDigger,

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't install a professional version but a ultimate one, so I cannot reproduce this issue.

But I can install it successfully and find it at

New Project->Visual C# category

and the project template's name is "ADO.NET Entity Designer Extension Starter Kit"

Hope you can find it there as well.

Best Regards,

Ziwei Chen

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, January 14, 2011 2:57 AM
  • the problem was NOT resolved
    Friday, January 14, 2011 8:16 AM
  • Hi CodeDigger,

If it is not there, please try command

devenv /setup

devenv /installvstemplates

if it doesn't help, I suggest to post another thread at:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/DesignerExtStartKit/Thread/List.aspx

also, hope my reply helps.

Best Regards,

Ziwei Chen

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]

Friday, January 14, 2011 9:35 AM
  • nope, no change!
    Friday, January 14, 2011 10:36 AM
  • Hi Victor (or anybody)?

I marked it as answered because it got me a little further: I was able to open and install but got straight away stuck again

overview

visual studio NOT running

• I install starter kit, last line of install log:
      Install to Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional completed successfully. The extension has been installed to C:\Users\Developer\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Extensions\Microsoft\Entity Designer Extension Starter Kit (C#)\1.0\
    • When I start VS and create new project I can't find any starter kit etc. anywhere, so stuck there
    • But I can uninstall it in VS via Tools|Extension Manager, so yes it was installed...

I also created a new VSIX project and copied everything into it, and installed that one, no difference

questions

• The starter kit is supposed to demonstrate how an extension can integrate with the entity designer?
    • The starter kit is supposed to actually work on its own (without changes) adding a property to an entity in the entity designer?
    • The starter kit is supposed to provide a template for new projects attempting to integrate with the entity designer?

I get the impression the answer to all three questions is yes, but none of it seems to work. One can only install and uninstall, but it does not integrate with entity designer (new properties are not visible in entity designer), it does not provide a project template (starter kit template) for new projects.

HELP...

Hi CodeDigger,

But it works fine on my side, I can create a new project with starter kit template.

If it still doesn't work, please extract out the StarterKitProjectTemplate_CS.zip template file and package it via VSIX again follow:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd885241.aspx

and you can fin it at:

Hope it helps this time

Best Regards,

Ziwei Chen

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]

Monday, January 17, 2011 3:16 AM
  • Hi Chen, All

thanks for not giving up...

Status

by repackaging the starter kit and then installing vsix it actually shows up in new project c# template

so I can add a new project based on starter kit (yippie) but what sense does that make?

If I add new entity model I can't see any new properties (MyNewProperty, MyNewProperty2 don't show up when I click on an Entity in the Entity Designer (I imported from a db and I also tried defining a new entity in the designer, neither entity exposes any MyNewProptery*)) <- so just stuck a mm further down the road

Also tried just adding new project (not based on starter kit), no difference.

while repackaging the starterkit the only changes I made to the files

ModelConversionExtension.cs
    ModelGenerationExtension.cs
    ModelTransformExtension.cs
    MyNewProperty.cs
    MyNewProperty2.cs
    MyNewProperty2Factory.cs
    MyNewPropertyFactory.cs

was to s&e $safeprojectname$ with identical value for assemblyname/default namespace in my case 'VSIXEF4' w/o '

I added some missing references (with EnvDTE I had to additionally set "Embed Interop Types" to "False" and then it compiled w/o any warnings.

(I created a class library <- hope that was correct), (I also tried creating a VSIXProject and including the above files directly, didn't make a change)

I exported the template as project template, and just followed the steps in the link you gave last.

Like I said, I can install it, but its not really "up and running" (I would like to see MyProperty/2 in the entity designer so I can finally dig my fingers into the designing process).

any further help would be very welcome

• Edited by CodeDigger Monday, January 17, 2011 2:45 PM added info
    Monday, January 17, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Hi CodeDigger,

Thanks for yoru feedback.

I also cannot see other extension points on my side, except for the project template.

And I see your post on the product discussion list, since it is not an official product, I think you can get more information there.

Ziwei Chen

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by CodeDigger Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:54 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by CodeDigger Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:58 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:37 AM
  • great, I just love wasting time...

So, problem solved (OMG)   

after just copying the *.cs files directly into new VSPackage project a small but important detail was missing:

• double click source.extension.vsixmanifest file
    • go to grid titled Content
    • click Add Content
    • in combobox Select a content type choose MEF Component
    • select a source choose Project

NOW it does work...

• Edited by CodeDigger Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:21 AM solved
    • Marked as answer by CodeDigger Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:21 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:54 AM
  • In Order to install extension to VS2010 Sp1.

Add an entry for professional edition in the .manifest file as:

<Edition>Pro</Edition>

and follow the mentioned steps above.

• Edited by ageorg Monday, September 5, 2011 2:28 PM
    Monday, September 5, 2011 2:28 PM
  • What is the full name of VS2010's .manifest file? I see a lot of manifest files and I am not sure which one is the right one.
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 1:22 PM
  • Hi All,

Probably a bit too late for you all now. but back in 2010 I also found that the Starter Kit did not work. Perhaps due to the version being for VS2010 RC.

So I rebuilt it, and today, I've just upgraded it to VS2012.
    So you can get it from my Blog

http://www.jradley.co.uk/1/post/2010/10/09/Entity-Framework-Starter-Kit-alternative

have fun!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 10:05 PM