none
Azure artifact to promote server to DC false positive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm automating VM builds with Azure Artifacts. Although all scripts run and succeed, the artifact to promote the server to a DC says it fails.

Using Windows 2012R2 from the image gallery and the pre-built artifact to create a new domain.  This works but the server doesn't get promoted to a DC.

I created a custom artifact that runs the powershell command to promote the server to a DC.  When the artifact is applied, the server is promoted to a DC then Azure powers the VM off.  This is all good except the artifact is actually reporting that it failed and any additional artifacts are skipped.  When I log into the VM, it is in fact a DC.

The custom artifact simply runs a PS script with the following command
    Install-ADDSForest -domainname testdom.local -SafeModeAdministratorPassword (convertto-securestring "Password11!" -asplaintext -Force) -Force

My guess is that the artifact is reporting it failed because warnings are issued while the server is being promoted. They are standard warnings that can be ignored and I don't see a way to suppress.

Is there a better way to promote the server to a DC or a way to get the artifact to report success?

Thanks!

Thursday, August 22, 2019 10:32 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

Thanks for using Azure. 

You can please check out the warningaction as "SilentlyContinue" and see the artifacts are able to getting installed or not. 

You can always use the option of "-NoRebootOnCompletion" for troubleshooting purpose and understand what kind of errors/warning are showing up as part of artifact installation

Additional documentation reference for troubleshooting Domain Controller Deployment. 

Hope the above information helps. Please revert back if you have any further queries. 

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 4:08 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi David,

Thanks for using Azure. 

You can please check out the warningaction as "SilentlyContinue" and see the artifacts are able to getting installed or not. 

You can always use the option of "-NoRebootOnCompletion" for troubleshooting purpose and understand what kind of errors/warning are showing up as part of artifact installation

Additional documentation reference for troubleshooting Domain Controller Deployment. 

Hope the above information helps. Please revert back if you have any further queries. 

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 4:08 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you for the reply!  That worked for me.

I also found powershell didn't like the text encoding.  I had to change it to UTF-8-BOM in order for the dashes to be accepted as valid characters.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:27 PM
  • Glad to hear David that it worked out and thanks for sharing additional information for the community. 
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 5:43 PM
    Owner