Future of Upshot RRS feed

• Question

• User1113191358 posted

Hi,

I am evaluating how to move from Silverlight to another Rich Client (but not fat client) platform, that is also cross-platform capable. (Silverlight never fully achieved that, and its technological successor, Metro on WinRT, is again proprietary).

As part of this investigation I came across ASP.NET SPA, and I really liked what I saw at first. There was a lot of activity around this a few months ago, but somehow it has died off. I looked at the commit history for SPA/Upshot in the source code repository, and as far as I can tell, there has only been one significant commit since the initial check-in on March 11 which deals with JSON.NET integration.

Does this mean Upshot is reaching maturity, or does it mean that is is currently not a focus for Microsoft?

Karl

Monday, May 28, 2012 12:11 PM

All replies

• User1779161005 posted

I think lots of people (meaning those at Microsoft) are heads-down getting ready for the next beta/release candidate of VS11/MVC4. Give it a few weeks and see what gets announced and discussed.

Monday, May 28, 2012 12:22 PM
  • User-477222212 posted

ASP.NET SPA is not part of MVC 4, so I think development on it has slowed down while Microsoft gets MVC 4 completed. I hope to see more activity on SPA after the release of MVC 4.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:11 AM
  • User1492915735 posted

UpShot is seems like its really hard to integrate into third-party component such as Kendo UI or Wijimo etc.

Seems like the kendo's DataSource goes future than the UpShot.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:05 PM
  • User687406232 posted

Kendo seems more multi platform but you probably dont get all the benefits of EF integration.

To me it seems upshot will work best when connicting to DataController ( Not DBDataController) as its more flexible and has less dependencies. 

Saturday, June 2, 2012 12:51 AM
  • User-938171095 posted

Yeah, I'm sort of on the same boat as kwaclaw. I really love what I see in upshot, which is basically WCF RIA, but it sort of looks like not much is being done or talked about it... I hope things change...

Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:08 AM
  • User997592625 posted

Development on it has slowed down while Microsoft gets MVC 4 completed. I hope to see more activity on SPA

Monday, July 2, 2012 3:42 AM