System Freeze...

Question

• My system seems to freeze regularly (no matter what I'm working on) and I'm trying to figure out why. It seems like there are some common issues in the Events viewer that may have something to do with it. But I don't seem to be able to track it down myself. Is there a place I could upload an event log to get some help with it?
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hey there,

How was the Windows Developer Preview installed on the system? Do you mind sharing out the hardware configuration of the system?

Regards,

Bobby

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:04 PM
    Answerer
  • One of the freezes I experience is when an application is suspended.
    Try closing the Metro apps using taskmanager (so they don't actually get suspended) and see if the crash still occurs.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:15 PM
  • The WDP was installed from a DVD with the 32-bit version without developer tools. (I've since installed VS11 preview.)

Hardware configuration is as follows:

Laptop running Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 (@ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz), 3GB RAM, No Pen or Touch input, standard wired optical mouse, wired Ethernet for internet.

No Metro apps were running in taskmanager during latest times the freeze happens. I sometimes would open taskmanager and manually shut down any metro apps after opening them and it would still eventually freeze.

Recently I've been clicking on the desktop icon as soon as I log in and then either opening IE or starting Visual Studio 11 preview.

When I was downloading VS11p after about 45 minutes-ish the system would freeze and be unresponsive to everything. (Had to remove battery and unplug from power to get anything to happen.)

This was during the download process. Had to restart/continue download process 3 times in order to finally get it all downloaded because of the freezes.

While using VS11p same freeze would happen.

I've looked over the event viewer and seen some various things around the times the crashes happen, but it doesn't seem like a consistent issue popping out at me at the precise time the freeze happens.

Here are a few regulars:

Error: Session "ProtogonWmiLog" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035

Error: An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably.The Registry could not flush hive (file): ''.

Warning:

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL -

1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-989548840-254705828-3614151258-1000_Classes:

Process 1024 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-989548840-254705828-3614151258-1000_CLASSES\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:02 AM
  • Yeah this seems like a very big problem.
    Now I can't help you any further, the best I can do is show you the Microsoft Feedback tool.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/85d792b4-56f7-444a-9c59-00c013011e73

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:05 AM
  • Thanks. I went to Connect and downloaded the Feedback Tool and sent off a report and attached a saved event log. Thanks. =)
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:20 AM
  • You're wecome.
    Think this is the best to do at this point.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:20 AM
  • Strangely, this issue seems to have resolved itself. I've spent the last several days working with the system and keeping it on for many hours at a time and haven't experienced the same freezing issues. Perhaps there were some background things going on that, once completed, stopped the freezing issue. *shrugs*
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:49 PM