Plz Clarify my query in SSIS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I have Task in SSIS to import the flat file to the table and break the table and insert and update the other tables in the same database.

I searched every where i couldnt find appropriate tutorial for this.

Please advice me how to achieve this task.

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Savera

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 4:44 PM

All replies

•  Savera wrote:

Hi There,

I have Task in SSIS to import the flat file to the table and break the table

What do you mean by "break the table"?

Savera wrote:
      and insert and update the other tables in the same database.

What other tables? where are you inserting FROM?

Savera wrote:

I searched every where i couldnt find appropriate tutorial for this. Please advice me how to achieve this task.

Which bit?

Savera wrote:

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Savera

-Jamie

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 4:47 PM
  • Load the table first in one data flow.  Then in a second data flow, select from that table as the source.  Use a conditional split transformation to direct the rows to other destinations based on your criteria.
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 4:56 PM
  • HI Jamie,

Thanks a lot.

I have some more queries to clarify.

I have some complicated criteria like join the tables and set the flag in main table if any of the table updation tasks fails.Will it be done in Conditional split Transformation if its not please let me know how to get this task done. 

Thanks in Advance.

Regards

Friday, February 2, 2007 2:54 PM
  •  Savera wrote:

HI Jamie,

Thanks a lot.

I have some more queries to clarify.

I have some complicated criteria like join the tables and set the flag in main table if any of the table updation tasks fails.Will it be done in Conditional split Transformation if its not please let me know how to get this task done. 

Thanks in Advance.

Regards

To set a flag in a table you would probably use an Execute SQL Task. Put an OnError precedence constraint between your data-flow and this new Execute SQL Task. Something like that anyway  - I don't really understand why you're talking about a conditional split.

-Jamie

Friday, February 2, 2007 5:17 PM
  • Jamie,

Thanks for the reply.

I wanted to ask you that whether complicated query can be set in conditional split transformation or have to use Execute sql task ?

Please let me know how to put an OnError precedence constraint between your data-flow and this new Execute SQL.

Ans also i am getting an error while mapping between flat file to database tables the error is column cannot convert between unicode and non unicode string data types.Please advice how it can be solved.

Many thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Friday, February 2, 2007 7:00 PM
  •  Savera wrote:

Jamie,

Thanks for the reply.

I wanted to ask you that whether complicated query can be set in conditional split transformation or have to use Execute sql task ?

This makes no snse. You cannot execute queries from the Conditional Split component.

Savera wrote:

Please let me know how to put an OnError precedence constraint between your data-flow and this new Execute SQL.

Drag a precedence constraint between the two tasks (it will be OnSuccessby default) and edit the properties of it. Make it an OnError constraint.

Savera wrote:

Ans also i am getting an error while mapping between flat file to database tables the error is column cannot convert between unicode and non unicode string data types.Please advice how it can be solved.

Somewhere you are trying to push a unicode value into a non-unicode field. You should use a Data Conversion component to explicitly make the change that you need.

-Jamie

Friday, February 2, 2007 7:47 PM
  • Savera,
    Please read through my posts in this thread.  I think you should go through some tutorials so that you can obtain a better understanding of SSIS.
    Friday, February 2, 2007 7:56 PM
  •  Phil Brammer wrote:
    Savera,
    Please read through my posts in this thread.  I think you should go through some tutorials so that you can obtain a better understanding of SSIS.

Agreed.

This may be of use:

Online Beginner Resources
    (http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson/archive/2007/01/30/SSIS_3A00_-Online-Beginner-Resources.aspx)

-Jamie

Friday, February 2, 2007 8:27 PM