none
[EWS Managed API 2.0] [Exchange 2010] Item.Bind direct access on Public Folder store RRS feed

• Question

• An application I'm working on is going to use Exchange 2010 Public Folders for email storage, relying on EWS and the EWS Managed API 2.0 to store and retrieve items in the Exchange Server. We're planning on using the EWS ID as the globally unique identifier for emails and items throughout the system, and will use them to retrieve item properties on demand.

Having established that, I want to be sure that the performance implications of calling Item.Bind to retrieve an item and its properties isn't a factor of the size of the database or public folder store - that is, that the EWS ID is an indexed property, and calling Item.Bind doesn't involve, internally, running a deep traversal on the public folder store to find the item.

I've traced Item.Bind to the EWS GetItem request, and I've tried opening the server-side EWS DLL in Reflector to see how it's implemented, and it seems like it's fine - it translated the EWS ID to a MAPI StoreID, and then calls a different, internal Item.Bind, and from there several more layers of ItemBuilders and so forth so that I got lost, but I'm pretty sure we're fine. But I would love to have an official answer about this so that our system architects can sleep easily. :)

Monday, September 9, 2013 1:37 PM