none
Application threads hanging sometimes when stopping debugging from Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of some resources / articles which explain how the Visual Studio debugger (VS2008) terminates a C# managed forms app on Windows CE 6? (ARM, .NET Compact Framework 3.5, debugging over USB ActiveSync)

The reason I am interested is that I have a large application that does not always cleanly terminate from debugging and leaves some threads still active. So I have to power cycle the board in order to debug again.  Remote Process Viewer is not able to terminate the remaining app either. Smaller applications are fine so it's not an issue with debug in general.  All threads that I control are set to background (apart from UI thread). I think the issue is in some mutex waitones or similar that have no timeout.

If I could detect the debug call to stop in my app perhaps I could code something to manually pop those WaitOne items.

It could be related to this question: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8107808b-191b-49ce-bdcd-1860a9296bfb/multithreaded-application-deadlock-after-exception?forum=winembmngdapp

But there was no answer/resolution given.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thursday, November 15, 2018 3:01 AM