Developing Astoria for Sliverlight 2.0 without Silverlight 2.0 in hand! RRS feed

• Question

• I like to ask Astoria team this question and hopefuly I get some good answers...

I'm planning to develop a business application with the upcoming version of Silverlight 2.0 (I've been waiting since last March), but we won't see any preview for another few months. Today, I was thinking that I'm planning to use Astoria as my data service layer for my project, but I don't have the SL client to use and test against.

a) My question is, at this point, how can I get a head start on my project to use Astoria and what can I and should I be developing on this tier at this stage?

b) And since I don't have SL, what can I use instead to simulate to usage of Astoria, as if I was using SL? Can I use ASP.Net for this purpose?

Any detail info you provide, is very much appriciated!

Thank you in advance!

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 11:48 PM

Answers

• The easiest way to get a head-start is to download the Astoria December 2007 CTP, create a service and then create a client to consume that service using a WPF project. In the WPF project you can use the Astoria client for .NET will is almost identical to the one we'll have for Silverlight.

The main thing to keep in mind about WPF applications is that Silverlight does not support all of the controls/xaml constructs that are there in WPF, so you may want to just build a minimalistic UI in order to test the rest of the functionality and wait for Silverlight in order to build the whole thing.

Use of Astoria services from regular .NET applications and from Silverlight is identical from the .NET code perspective (some restrictions apply to Silverlight such as which servers you can access).

Pablo Castro

Technical Lead

Microsoft Corporation

http://blogs.msdn.com/pablo

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:05 AM

All replies

• The easiest way to get a head-start is to download the Astoria December 2007 CTP, create a service and then create a client to consume that service using a WPF project. In the WPF project you can use the Astoria client for .NET will is almost identical to the one we'll have for Silverlight.

The main thing to keep in mind about WPF applications is that Silverlight does not support all of the controls/xaml constructs that are there in WPF, so you may want to just build a minimalistic UI in order to test the rest of the functionality and wait for Silverlight in order to build the whole thing.

Use of Astoria services from regular .NET applications and from Silverlight is identical from the .NET code perspective (some restrictions apply to Silverlight such as which servers you can access).

Pablo Castro

Technical Lead

Microsoft Corporation

http://blogs.msdn.com/pablo

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:05 AM
  • Pablo, you're the Man! What a great idea and suggestion. Thank you!
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:29 AM
  • Hey there,

Astoria rocks.... Recently I wrote a blog post how you can use Astoria from WPF... have a look...

http://marlongrech.wordpress.com/2008/02/17/consuming-adonet-data-services-from-wpf-part-1/

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:45 PM