none
How to display customized EULA to end user? RRS feed

• Question

• I am installing Windows Embedded 8.1 on a device that will be shipped to customers pre-activated. The license agreement with MS for this OS requires that the end user agree to a separate EULA, but I cannot find any information about how to display the customized EULA to the user. Booting the device into OOBE just displays the standard EULA.

Is there a standard method to display a customized EULA?

Note: By 'customized' I mean the EULA was obtained from MS (via MyOEM) and the text was modified to include my company's name, as instructed by our MS documentation.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 2:16 PM

Answers

• If you need to add your customized EULA, oobe.xml has the necessary functionality, so the EULA will be shown during OOBE pass.

The example for quick test is here and it works with Industry 8.1 (but don't forget to save oobe.xml as UTF-8 text file)

And some additional documentation:

How oobe.xml works

Oobe.xml settings

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 3:08 PM
  • You can simply put a piece of paper in the box that has your companies EULA terms. Again, you should contact your distributor for clarification. I have never added a EULA screen to a custom OEM OS since systems are to look like appliances and not PCs.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by ScottF_2015 Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:51 PM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 5:45 PM

All replies

• You don't have to display a customized EULA. I suggest that you contact your distributor for clarification on this.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 3:50 PM
  • You don't have to display a customized EULA.

Do you have some documentation I can use to verify this? It would be great if I could skip this, but my information seems to say otherwise.

From OEM Embedded CLA 6.0:
    Section 2(l): License Terms. Company must distribute License Terms with each Embedded System.

From Additional Terms for Windows Embedded POSReady Pro and Industry Pro Device Licenses:
    Section 1(b)(1): Company shall sublicense rights to use the Product to each End User by means of License Terms. MS License Terms for each Product are posted on MyOEM. For purposes of this subsection, “MS License Terms” means the Product License Terms available on MyOEM. Company may use different terms or additional terms, as long as they are no less protective of MS than the MS License Terms.
    Section 1(b)(4): 
    Company must distribute License Terms in a manner that forms a contract binding the End User under applicable law.

Am I misinterpreting this information?

Thanks

• Edited by ScottF_2015 Tuesday, February 2, 2016 4:00 PM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 4:00 PM
  • You can simply put a piece of paper in the box that has your companies EULA terms. Again, you should contact your distributor for clarification. I have never added a EULA screen to a custom OEM OS since systems are to look like appliances and not PCs.

• Marked as answer by ScottF_2015 Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:51 PM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 5:45 PM
  • This is what we do, the EULA are downloadable from MYOEM. Print it and put it in the box.

Or your duplicator / hardware supplier can do that for you.

=^x^=

Thursday, February 4, 2016 1:06 AM
  • If you need to add your customized EULA, oobe.xml has the necessary functionality, so the EULA will be shown during OOBE pass.

The example for quick test is here and it works with Industry 8.1 (but don't forget to save oobe.xml as UTF-8 text file)

And some additional documentation:

How oobe.xml works

Oobe.xml settings

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 3:08 PM