“Windows Installer has stopped working” when I attempt to install the 32-bit version of the Windows Developer Preview a Windows Vista 32-bit OS with Service Pack 2

Question

• I received the error “Windows Installer has stopped working” when I attempt to install the 32-bit version of the Windows Developer Preview on a Windows Vista 32-bit OS with Service Pack 2. How do I troubleshoot this? 

Monday, September 12, 2011 3:57 PM
    Owner

Answers

• If you have a computer running Windows Vista 32-bit with Service Pack 2 and you attempt to install the 32-bit version of Windows Developer Preview (x86), you will encounter the following error message:

Windows Installer has stopped working

Microsoft has identified this issue and there is an alternative installation method.

1.       Insert the installation media in either the DVD or as a USB flash drive

2.       If AutoPlay launches, do not run setup but instead choose “Open folder to view files”

If AutoPlay does not launch, open the Start Menu and click on Computer and double click on the DVD or USB drive to open it in a new window

3.       Double-click and open the Sources folder

4.       Locate the file “installprep” which will be listed as an application

5.       Double-click to launch “installprep” to begin the setup process

Because of this issue you can only launch the “new” version of setup and you will not be able to run the legacy version unless you boot from your install media.

Michael

Monday, September 12, 2011 4:05 PM
    Owner

All replies

• If you have a computer running Windows Vista 32-bit with Service Pack 2 and you attempt to install the 32-bit version of Windows Developer Preview (x86), you will encounter the following error message:

Windows Installer has stopped working

Microsoft has identified this issue and there is an alternative installation method.

1.       Insert the installation media in either the DVD or as a USB flash drive

2.       If AutoPlay launches, do not run setup but instead choose “Open folder to view files”

If AutoPlay does not launch, open the Start Menu and click on Computer and double click on the DVD or USB drive to open it in a new window

3.       Double-click and open the Sources folder

4.       Locate the file “installprep” which will be listed as an application

5.       Double-click to launch “installprep” to begin the setup process

Because of this issue you can only launch the “new” version of setup and you will not be able to run the legacy version unless you boot from your install media.

Michael

Monday, September 12, 2011 4:05 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for the info Michael.  Found your instructions spot on.

Unfortunately, this thread is very well buried in the MSD Preview forum and I have noticed several new threads based on the MSD Preview Edition of Win 8 have issues of installation. 

Having worked in a software firm, we always paid attention to making sure the installation worked in as many scenarios as possible.  If a pre-beta won't install properly or as expected is tends to turn potential users away.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 4:12 PM