Background Task updating live tile & App Manifest's Tile Update

Question

• I have a background task to update the live tile. As I understand it, I need to ask the user for permission to conduct background tasks, by calling BackgroundExecutionManager.requestAccessAsync(). If the user doesn't allow background tasks, then my app would not have a live tile. To compensate for this, I have set the "URI Template"property under the "Tile Update" section in hopes that if the user doesn't grant the app background permissions, then the tile will still be updated with a live tile.

In practice I am finding it difficult to test my work. Right now the live tile is using the "URI Template" XML to display the live tile. I have not yet seen the tile transition to the background task's live tile data. Although, I have seen the background task's data in the live tile at one point in my tests. However, I have never seen the transition from the live tile generated by the "URI Template" XML to the background task's XML or visa-versa.

The background task is set to update every 15 minutes, but I have not yet seen any transition to the background task from the "URI Template" generated data.

1. First, is it possible to use both a background task to update the live tile's XML and use the "URI Template" XML as a backup?
    2. Do I need to tell the app to forget about the "URI Template" XML as soon as the user grants the app background-task permission? If so, how do I do that?
    3. Is there a more effective way to test background tasks rather than waiting 30-60 minutes for it to "possibly" get triggered?

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 2:17 PM

Answers