none
Excel cannot open the file 'filename.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. RRS feed

• Question

• Running  Windows 7 (64-bit) with MS Office Professional Plus 2013 (32-bit)

I receive the above error when I create a new blank worksheet on my desktop using the shortcut menu (right-click on my desktop and then choose New -> Microsoft Excel Worksheet) and then try to open it.  I can open all existing worksheets on my desktop, and I can create a new worksheet on the desktop from within Excel, save it and then open it.  The error only occurs when creating a new file from the shortcut menu.  Any ideas?

• Edited by jabberpunch Tuesday, July 7, 2015 5:33 PM Typo
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 5:03 PM

Answers

• My apologies, I just realized that I posted this question to the Developer site.  Please disregard and I will re-post to the appropriate forum.
    • Marked as answer by jabberpunch Tuesday, July 7, 2015 10:27 PM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 10:27 PM

All replies

• Hello:

According to my research, the "New" command which is invoked by right-clicking the desktop, provides content that is controlled by the Registry.  You might want to see what program it is trying to open by reviewing the reg entries.  Here's a snippet that shows how to add or delete items from that context menu:

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 6:59 PM
  • I compared the registration file for the .xlsx key to another workstation that is not having this issue and the files are identical.  The ShellNew key shows Value name = "FileName" and Value data = "excel12.xlsx"
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 8:20 PM
  • My apologies, I just realized that I posted this question to the Developer site.  Please disregard and I will re-post to the appropriate forum.
    • Marked as answer by jabberpunch Tuesday, July 7, 2015 10:27 PM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 10:27 PM