none
Kinect Windows 10 UAP support RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi guys,

It's been a long time since you released the Kinect SDK 2.0. Right now, due to Win10 will be free upgraded we are in need to upgrade the Kinect store apps we are developing to win 10 UAP too.

Will you be releasing an update for the SDK that let us work with Kinect Windows 10 UAP's soon?

Friday, June 5, 2015 8:24 PM

All replies

• Sorry, there have been no announcements made. All official news and updates around Kinect will come through the main Kinect for Windows website or blog:

http://www.kinectforwindows.com

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwindows/

Monday, June 8, 2015 9:33 PM
  • Can anyone tell whether they are working on the SDK targeting Windows 10 UAP?

Windows 10 UAP should be the place that supports everything!

• Edited by koonyook Friday, July 3, 2015 4:50 AM
    Thursday, July 2, 2015 4:13 PM
  • Still no news to report?
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 12:26 PM
  • Still no news to report? :-/

I guess it's out of scope for the MS development team.

As far I know, Kinect for Windows is no longer manufactured, so I would not expect further updates of the sdk. Kinect One needs USB 3.0 and so far there are not many platforms with Windows 10 IoT and USB 3.0.

So what would be a depth camera for UAP? Strukt.io and Xtion, Orbec are based on PrimeSense and are direct derivatives of of the Kinect. Maybe Intel Real sense? 

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 8:22 PM
  • It is already possible to utilize Kinect 2 depth and color (& infra?) streams in UWP applications through classes in the Windows.Devices.Perception namespace. You need to have a preview version of Kinect 2 driver (2.1) installed.
    Friday, December 25, 2015 12:51 PM
  • hi 

i had the same issue , my Free Upgrade Upgraded my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Home. With Windows 10 Home kinect does not work at all and the USB 3 does not even recognise it. so i have to do a reinstall for Win 10 Enterprise and now its working. 

Vuyiswa Maseko

Thursday, December 31, 2015 7:28 AM
  • Jan, do you know if anyone has been able to recreate skeleton frames using the perception APIs?  They seem substantially different (and feature limited) compared to the existing 8.1 API.
    Monday, February 15, 2016 11:42 PM
  • You have to use your own skeleton tracking algorithm. 

Based on what I read on msdn & tested it is just "shoehorned access" to the image frames from the Kinect sensor.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:52 AM
  • My guess is that the Devices.Perception namespace is intended to be used by any RGB-D camera like the Intel RealSense, not just the Kinect

Now, it would be fantastic to have a generalised skeleton tracking for any RGB-D camera not just the kinect, but given the wildly different capabilities of the RGB-D cameras on the market, it would be difficult to have a reliable skeleton tracking with all of them.

Vicente Penades

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 9:11 AM
  • I think it is great to build in new API support with Devices.Perception in UWP apps.   But to discontinue UWP Kinect support for such a widely used sensor is irresponsible.  Kinect works for Windows 8.1 apps -- I can't fathom what technical barrier prevents its use in Windows 10 UWP apps. 

Designing new API surface area is not a replacement for Kinect's highly refined and polished skeleton tracking. And let's be honest -- no one in going to build a skeleton tracking algorithm that competes on features and performance with the established Microsoft solution.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 3:56 PM