none
How can you use Visual Studio to decide what settings in Project Properties are user specific only?

Question

• I posted this question on StackOverflow, but no reply yet...

Project properties are either saved to a csproj file (settings for the whole team, goes into source control), or to a csproj.user file (settings for the user only, does not go into source control).

Is there a way to choose in Visual Studio where a particular setting should be stored? Or must such things be edited in the project files directly?

• Edited by olaeld Monday, February 20, 2017 11:20 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2017 11:20 AM

All replies

• Hi olaeld,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

What’s your VS version? I checked VS 2010, 2012 and 2015 on my side, there is no the *.csproj.user file under the solution store folder. It looks like this file was removed from VS 2010 and since the mainstream support of VS 2008 and easier version already ended up from 2013, we can know it from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=visual%20studio%202008, there are much little information of this file on the internet. It is better to upgrade to the recently VS version like VS 2015 or VS 2017 RC, you will get a better support for your issue, thank you for your understanding.

As far as I know, the .csproj.user file is the per-user project file and it will auto create when the project open if this file be deleted, and the project system will rewrite the per-user project file when the project is closed.

The ".csproj" is a Visual Studio .NET C# Project file extension. This file will have information about the files included in that project, assemblies used in that project, project GUID and project version etc. It will be automatically generated when we create. This is to allow multiple users to work on a project, which is critical when working in a team with source control.

I found a similar issue: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8314124/how-to-prevent-generation-of-csproj-user and it looks like we cannot switch them per their different contribution or roles.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:28 AM