none
ActivateTab does not work from BackStage view RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Access 2010 application with some custom Ribbon tabs that I have created. In the Access application I have a background process running from a form timer event which popups up a MessageBox when a certain condition in the database is met and the user can then click Yes or No depending on what they want to do, if they click Yes then I open up another form. The problem I have is that if the user is in the BackStage view and the MessageBox pops up and they click Yes, then when I call IRibbonUI.ActivateTab to switch back to the application so the user can view the form, it does not switch back it just stays in the BackStage view. I know that the ActivateTab code is working because if Access is not in the BackStage view then the tab gets changed to the one I want when the user clicks Yes on the MessageBox.

Is this a bug in Access? Or is there another way to do this?

Thanks.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:38 AM

All replies

• Hello Mike,

Thanks for posting. For this issue, actually, I am not able to see this issue on my side. Here, to narrow down this issue, I'd like to suggest you could do more test for this issue. From what you said, you are probably working with a shared add-in for Access application. Right? If yes, please try to create a very simple add-in to test and see if this issue also happens when calling IRibbonUI.ActivateTab in the BackStage view.

If it does not help you, would you mind simplifying a project and sharing it with me. So I could use it on my side to reproduce this issue for further research.

Also here is an article about how to customize BackStage view for Office 2010 which might interest you.
    Customizing the Office 2010 Backstage View for Developers:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee815851.aspx.

I am looking forward to your reply. Have a nice weekend.

Bessie Zhao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Bessie Zhao Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:13 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Bessie Zhao Thursday, March 17, 2011 11:04 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 5:45 AM
  • Hi Bessie,

The code is actually running in an accdb and not an add-in. I have created a simple db which recreates the problem. Please can you tell me how I can send you it for you to examine?

Thanks,

Mike.

• Edited by Mike Freeman Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:32 AM typo
    Monday, March 14, 2011 5:52 PM
  • Hello again Mike,

You could share the project with me via v-beszha at microsoft dot com. I will try to use it on my side for research. Have a nice day.

Bessie Zhao [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:17 AM
  • Hi Bessie,

I have emailed you the db for you to have a look at.

Thanks,

Mike.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:37 AM
  • Hello again Mike.

I am so sorry for delay. By using the Access file on my side, I am able to see this issue on my side. Unfortunately, it seems there is no a solution for this issue. I have reported a feedback into office bug database, which is an appropriate channel. However this link is an internal one. This issue will be routed to the product unit who works on this special feature area for triage and resolution. I will follow up as long as there is any feedback on this case. It may be some time before we get response from product unit. Please be patient.

Have a nice day.

Bessie Zhao [MSFT]

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:50 AM