vb.net 2010 using access 2016 and getting error: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. RRS feed

• Question

• A VB.NET 2010 desktop application is being setup to use Access 2013 and Access 2016 as the database on a new workstation.
    The workstation is setup with Windows 10 and office 2016. The application runs for awhile and then the following error occurs:
    The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. There is no office 2013 on the workstation.

I have seen that there are some links on the internet of saying that the problem is, however none of them are like my situation.
    Here is a link that is similar but in refers to shre point:
    "https://www.layer2solutions.com/en/community/FAQs/BDLC/Pages/How-to-access-office-2010-data-from-sharepoint.aspx".

Thus can you tell me what I can do to solve my problem?

Friday, July 14, 2017 3:23 PM

Answers

• Hi wendy Elizabeth,

to just solve one issue it is not god idea to install Office 2013 and Office 2016 on one machine.

instead of that you need to find the issue and solve it so that it can work with Office 2016.

you can try to post the code here.

we will try to make a test with Office 2013 and 2016 to reproduce the issue.

if you post the sample code then we can try to find the solution for it.

if any new version of reference available for 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 then try to reference it.

it may solve your issue.

it is possible that old version of reference is not available or supported in Office 2016 .

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 5:36 AM

All replies

• Which version of Office is installed, 32-bit or 64-bit? If it's the 32-bit version you should set the Platform of the project to x86.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Friday, July 14, 2017 9:00 PM
  • Hi wendy Elizabeth,

did you try to install the 'Microsoft Access Database Engine'?

if not you can try to install it to solve the issue.

you had mentioned that it did not work with Office 2016.

did you try to make a test with Access 2013?

did that work? if you did not test that then you can have a try to make  a test with it to know the result.

to get some more information , you can also try to visit link below.

HOW TO: FIX ERROR - "the 'microsoft.ace.oledb.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine"

they are using Office 2007 and 2010 but you can read it to get information that you can apply on Office 2016 and 2013 version.

let us know about your testing results, so that we can try to provide you further suggestions, If needed.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 17, 2017 2:54 AM
  • Office 2013 was installed on the computer and that solved the problem. Is that a good idea to have both office 2013 and office 2016 installed on the same computer for the users?
    Wednesday, July 26, 2017 5:01 PM
  • Hi wendy Elizabeth,

to just solve one issue it is not god idea to install Office 2013 and Office 2016 on one machine.

instead of that you need to find the issue and solve it so that it can work with Office 2016.

you can try to post the code here.

we will try to make a test with Office 2013 and 2016 to reproduce the issue.

if you post the sample code then we can try to find the solution for it.

if any new version of reference available for 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 then try to reference it.

it may solve your issue.

it is possible that old version of reference is not available or supported in Office 2016 .

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, July 27, 2017 5:36 AM
  • What code do you want to see? I am not certain where the exact problem is occurring. The user have window 10 computer and I have a windows 7 computer.

Why is it not a good idea to have office 2013 and office 2016 on the same computer? If just access 2013 is installed what is the problem with that?

The problem does not occur right away. It takes a lot of usage for the problem to occur.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 2:26 PM
  • Hi wendy Elizabeth,

you had mentioned that,"What code do you want to see? I am not certain where the exact problem is occurring. The user have window 10 computer and I have a windows 7 computer."

when you get error try to debug on your development machine. it will take you the line where error occurs.

you can try to post that part of code so that we can get the idea what you are doing exactly and we can try to find the issue there.

other thing you had mentioned that,"Why is it not a good idea to have office 2013 and office 2016 on the same computer? If just access 2013 is installed what is the problem with that?"

if we talk generally then it is not a good idea because you need to buy Office 2013 and Office 2016. do you think your client will be happy with this solution to just solve one error.

so it is better idea to find the cause of the issue and correct it.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Friday, July 28, 2017 5:31 AM