VB.NET 2008 - changing framework version? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I've downloaded VB.NET/VC#/VWD 2008 (Express editions), and hearing that they allow you to change between .NET FX version 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, I found that this was easily possibile with VC# 2008 but not VB.NET (or VWD), since they did not have a drop down box in the Project window like VC# did. Do the 2008 all the express editions support development on previous framework versions (2.0, 3.0), or is this feature exclusive to VC# and the standard/professional editions of the products. Thank in advance...

Alex
    Sunday, August 12, 2007 11:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• It seems the template options are either disabled for the Express version or are disabled in this beta.
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 6:36 PM
  • Thanks for you reply. I'd be quite curious which of your suggestions is the case. Perhaps a Microsoft employee/MVP could clarify this please.
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 6:54 PM
  • I cannot change the framework version in the professional edition either. If its a C# project there is an option in the project property page, I cannot see this option in a vb.net project. help.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 7:08 PM
  • never mind, I found it. Thanks to Stefano's blog.

http://www.demiliani.com/blog/archive/2007/08/24/6430.aspx

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 7:23 PM
  • Thanks for posting that...it's good to know there's a way. However, it still seems slightly strange that the options GUI is so different in the VB.NET and C# 2008 IDEs. The similarities are increasing from previous versions, but it still seems like the Express IDEs are developed seperately to a large degree still. I'm curious: are there any plans to create a Visual Studio Express for all languages, or does Microsoft intentionally intend to keep them divided? Anyway, I'm pleased that this 2008 version shows very few signs of limitations for either language so far.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 8:47 PM
  • There's also some gotchas when upgrading projects from VS 2005 to VS 2008 when you want to enable LINQ. You have to set the right target framework and then also import the correct namespaces depending on what providers you want to use. I wrote a blog post on this issue here: http://blogs.msdn.com/bethmassi/archive/2007/08/21/converting-vs-2005-projects-to-vs-2008.aspx

Enjoy!

-Beth Massi, VS Community

Thursday, September 6, 2007 12:03 AM
  • Ah, thanks for that.
    Thursday, September 6, 2007 7:47 PM
  • Seriously consider getting the Framework targeting / upgrading information into the Help system. Please?

For that matter, 'most all the information in the blog.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 7:14 AM
  • When I convert a VB2005 project to VB2008 Express, .NET Framework 3.5 is automatically selected. (To get System.Core added -see http://blogs.msdn.com/bethmassi/archive/2007/08/21/converting-vs-2005-projects-to-vs-2008.aspx -

one has to change it to another framework first and the back to 3.5)

In the project references list however, .NET Version 2.0.0.0 is selected for System, System.Drawing and System.Windows.Forms. Why not Version 3.5.0.0? How do I get it changed?

In the Add references list the runtime version for many namespaces is v2.0.50727, even if the .NET version is 3.5.0.0 (eg. System.Core)  Why?

Would it be posssible to convert, compile and run this project on a system where .NET 2.0 is NOT installed?

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

I believe that actually most of the libraries such as System, System.Drawing and System.Windows.Forms have not changed since version 2.0. .NET 3.5 primarily differes in the addition of WPF, WCF, etc. and LINQ (then there's also the syntax differences for each language). Only the new assemblies, like System.Core, belong specifically to the .NET 3.5 framework. This shouldn't present any problem, as I'd guess installing the runtime for .NET 3.5 would also install the .NET 2.0 assemblies that are part of it. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's what I've found in my experience.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 11:01 AM