none
Mystery Document in Word VBA Project Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• When I open Word from the Start menu, and open Project Explorer, there is a document there, with the name of a document I used to have. I can't close it. I can't even see it. It opens every time I open Word for any reason, and I only see it referenced in the Project Explorer Window in the VB editor of Word. 

How do I get rid of this thing?

tod

Monday, May 16, 2016 9:55 PM

Answers

• Thanx Deepak. I did all three things, Hans' and yours, and was finally able to open the startup folder using:

?application.StartupPath

to get the folder and then plugging that into the windows explorer. BUT..the folder is empty. 

Since my first post the issue has gotten worse. Now when I open the vb editor, in the Project Explorer window there is reference to three documents - none of which are currently open. It's as if though they aren't 'closing?' all the way. So I tried closing Word, and then going to the task manager to see if there were any instance of word open.

I found word still open in project explorer. So I ended the task, then reopened Word. When I did it said the Normal document had been changed. I opened VB editor and everything is fine now. 

I guess something I did caused Word to get stuck like garbage in a storm drain and everything else just piled up on top of it. HAHAHA 

So...the take home lesson when this kind of thing happens is to also end tasks. 

Thanx to all that responded. I'm sure I'll have some other goofy problem to post soon. :0)

tod

• Marked as answer by todtown Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:20 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:20 PM

All replies

• It could be stored in Word's startup folder.

Start Windows Explorer / File Explorer.

Copy/paste the following into the address bar, then press Enter:

%appdata%\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

This will take you to the default location of Word's startup folder. Do you see the document there?

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Monday, May 16, 2016 10:01 PM
  • Hi todtown,

I am agree with the suggestion given by the Hans Vogelaar MVP.

you can find that document in Startup Folder.

if you have some problem in finding the Folder then you use the steps mentioned below to find the location.

(C:) > Users > USERNAME > AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Word > STARTUP

if it not displayed then You may need to instruct Windows to Show Hidden Files.

Also the path may different and it depends on the different versions of Windows.

so to get the path you can follow the steps below.

You can always find the Word Startup folder path by:
    1. From within Word, open the VBA Editor (Alt-F11)
    2. In the VBA Editor, opening the Immediate window (Ctrl-G)
    3. Typing in Msgbox Application.StartupPath and hitting enter

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 3:08 AM
  • Thanx Deepak. I did all three things, Hans' and yours, and was finally able to open the startup folder using:

?application.StartupPath

to get the folder and then plugging that into the windows explorer. BUT..the folder is empty. 

Since my first post the issue has gotten worse. Now when I open the vb editor, in the Project Explorer window there is reference to three documents - none of which are currently open. It's as if though they aren't 'closing?' all the way. So I tried closing Word, and then going to the task manager to see if there were any instance of word open.

I found word still open in project explorer. So I ended the task, then reopened Word. When I did it said the Normal document had been changed. I opened VB editor and everything is fine now. 

I guess something I did caused Word to get stuck like garbage in a storm drain and everything else just piled up on top of it. HAHAHA 

So...the take home lesson when this kind of thing happens is to also end tasks. 

Thanx to all that responded. I'm sure I'll have some other goofy problem to post soon. :0)

tod

• Marked as answer by todtown Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:20 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:20 PM