none
Drill down report gives connection forcibly closed error in web page but runs fine in Report Manager and Dev Preview RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I have an SSRS 2008 drill down report that is based on a stored procedure.  It runs fine in the Report Manager and also in the development preview tab. However, when this report is run in a reportviewer control on a web page I get the following error:
    • The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.
      • Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
        • An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
    I have other reports that are similar that work fine when run in reportviewer controls on a web page and that use the same connection and the same credentials and everything. In fact, these other drill down reports are run from the same main report as the one that is failing. The report looks like it is trying to run for about two minutes and then the error shows up in the report viewer control on the web page. The amount of data returned by this report is very small (usually less than 100 records) and takes no time at all in report manager, so I know it is not a timeout issue.  I'm kind of lost as to why it might throw this error.  Any help would be appreciated.
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:43 PM

Answers

• Apparently something was corrupted on the machine in question.  When I copied this report to a different machine and published it, it worked correctly in the web page.  Go figure....

Thanks for the replies.
    • Marked as answer by Carolyn_P Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:45 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:45 PM

All replies

• I got this same error when I set the Report Viewer in VS 2008 to a Server Report and entered a path to a SSRS 2008 .rdl.

However, the real underlying issue is that VS 2008 does not support SSRS 2008, since VS 2008 was released before SSRS 2008 came out.

The fix for Report Viewer to support SSRS 2008 will be released in VS 2010.

VS 2008 only supports SSRS 2005 reports.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:51 AM
  • That is not correct.  The VS 2008 report viewer can connect to a SQL 2008 report server.  It is difficult to tell for certain, but I suspect the issue may be related to specifying an incorrect URL to the report server.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:09 AM
  • Apparently something was corrupted on the machine in question.  When I copied this report to a different machine and published it, it worked correctly in the web page.  Go figure....

Thanks for the replies.
    • Marked as answer by Carolyn_P Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:45 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:45 PM
  • That is not correct. The VS 2008 report viewer can connect to a SQL 2008 report server. It is difficult to tell for certain, but I suspect the issue may be related to specifying an incorrect URL to the report server.

Thanks to the reminding!
    Monday, January 24, 2011 8:33 AM