[wp8.1]Will app developed in windows8.1 works in windows10? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am developing windows8.1 mobile app.

Will it works fine in windows10 mobile devices?

Monday, November 30, 2015 1:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, Windows 10 Mobile (for phones and small tablets) has backward compatibility and will continue to run apps that were built for Windows Phone 8.1.

You should still test that your Windows Phone 8.1 app does work as you expect on Windows 10 Mobile.

Also, you should not expect that your app that was developed for Windows Phone 8.1 will become 'Universal' and run on devices that it was not developed for like Xbox One or PCs nor that it will work in scenarios that it wasn't developed for such as when using a Windows 10 Phone in Continuum mode.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Mike

• Proposed as answer by Dave SmitsMVP Monday, November 30, 2015 2:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Friday, December 11, 2015 7:34 AM
    Monday, November 30, 2015 1:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, Windows 10 Mobile (for phones and small tablets) has backward compatibility and will continue to run apps that were built for Windows Phone 8.1.

You should still test that your Windows Phone 8.1 app does work as you expect on Windows 10 Mobile.

Also, you should not expect that your app that was developed for Windows Phone 8.1 will become 'Universal' and run on devices that it was not developed for like Xbox One or PCs nor that it will work in scenarios that it wasn't developed for such as when using a Windows 10 Phone in Continuum mode.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Mike

• Proposed as answer by Dave SmitsMVP Monday, November 30, 2015 2:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Friday, December 11, 2015 7:34 AM
    Monday, November 30, 2015 1:39 PM
  • Hi

Mike Taulty

Thanks for your response..

How to test  my Windows Phone 8.1 app works as you expect on Windows 10 Mobile?

Monday, November 30, 2015 2:59 PM
  • At least that's simple. By running it on the Windows 10 mobile and seeing if it works as expected or not.

Check my apps: Share to Speech and File Cards

Monday, November 30, 2015 6:30 PM