Newbe question. Interfacing with Parallel port, serial port, Basic stamp? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, I have been tinkering with MSRS for a few days, but I still have a few questions.  I have built a small mobile bot, and have used visual basic 6 to write my programs.  Currently the bot runs off of a laptop to which I send commands via winsock wifi.   My question, can  Microsoft Robotic Studio let me do the same thing at the same level of simplicity.  Can I access parallel ports and serial ports?    I use a usb joystick to get 16 inputs into the PC, and its real easy in VB to get that data and act upon it, can I do that in MSRS?  I also use the parallel port to to control 12 lines of output logic to various actuators.  I also use the serial port to talk to a basic stamp and a serial servo controller, I should be able to do that as well in MSRS.

Thanks, I appreciate the help,

-John

Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:48 AM

Answers

• In MSRS 1.0 DSS services could only run on a pc so you needed to have an interface from your robot to a PC. MSRS 1.5 also supports a runtime for .NET Compact Framework (CF) in addition to PC, so you can run DSS services on any platform that supports CF such as Windows Mobile and Windows Embedded devices. You still need to interface your robot to the CF device and it is recommended that you write services for as many functionality as possible that your robot supports. This allows all services (either from your robot or others) to be hosted on an integrated DSS platform and be able to interact with each other. For example when the light sensor on your robot detects that it is in a dark room then connect to the light controller service running on a PC and turn on the lights in that room. I am expecting to see robots that run their firmware directly on an embedded CF device attached to them. This allows running the controller firmware, DSS/CCR runtime and the services all in one place. Also there are works in progress to support .NET Micro Framework (even more compact than CF) in MSRS.

Check out this video:

.NET Micro Framework Invaders and Remote Robot Control

Friday, July 6, 2007 8:27 PM

All replies

• You need to know how simple is to convert the VB6 code in .net code!
    I don't know how the socket works in .net, but I can tell you the .NET (since 2.0) com port class is cool, and can do the same things the VB6 comport activeX did.

I suggest you to create several services, simple services, and then manage them from VPL

Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:39 AM
  • Does anyone know how to make a service for the Parallel port? 

Another quick question...Are most of the bots that run the MSRS have the service run on the bot itself, or is it on a remote machine, and simply communicate to the bot?

Thanks!

Friday, June 29, 2007 4:06 PM
  • Well, I don't know how to use the parallel port .. but I can tell you it's not used so much in automations ... it's better the serial port for industrial comunications, or ethernet.

For the second question, I can try to reply .. I think the service can run in the PC, where the software you write is running. After this, you can decide how complex a service can be, and decide to divide the works between the pc and the bot .. So if your bot is intelligent and programmable, you can embed so much actions, and then you'll write simplier services in the pc!

Hope someone can confirm my reply. Thanks

Friday, July 6, 2007 1:26 PM
  • In MSRS 1.0 DSS services could only run on a pc so you needed to have an interface from your robot to a PC. MSRS 1.5 also supports a runtime for .NET Compact Framework (CF) in addition to PC, so you can run DSS services on any platform that supports CF such as Windows Mobile and Windows Embedded devices. You still need to interface your robot to the CF device and it is recommended that you write services for as many functionality as possible that your robot supports. This allows all services (either from your robot or others) to be hosted on an integrated DSS platform and be able to interact with each other. For example when the light sensor on your robot detects that it is in a dark room then connect to the light controller service running on a PC and turn on the lights in that room. I am expecting to see robots that run their firmware directly on an embedded CF device attached to them. This allows running the controller firmware, DSS/CCR runtime and the services all in one place. Also there are works in progress to support .NET Micro Framework (even more compact than CF) in MSRS.

Check out this video:

.NET Micro Framework Invaders and Remote Robot Control

Friday, July 6, 2007 8:27 PM
  • Well, I'm agree with you, but if you think for example about the positions with encoders, I think the comunications between MSRS and the device is too slow to be managed ! So I think you can simply manage the positions with a plc, or an inverter for example .. and design the MSRS services for sending the desidered quote and wait the response from the plc "quote reached". Are you agree with me ?
    Monday, July 9, 2007 10:31 AM
  • Yes, eventually you need to implement the low level sensor/actuator functions on your hardware. What I'm saying is that it is good to expose these functions as much as possible on high level services so that it makes the operations abstract to other services that want to use them. This results in an integrated platform and allows creating very complex orchestration applications.
    Monday, July 9, 2007 7:53 PM