none
HELP to save VB.Net on StackOverflow 2019 survey RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everyone,

an hour ago, I challenged the absence of VB.Net in the latest StackOverflow survey but some people do not seem to like VB.Net.

So, if you have a Login to StackOverflow, it may be time to defend VB.Net by giving your opinion on the following Post.

survey on StackOverflow

Thank you to everyone who took the time to defend VB.Net in the survey.

There is still time to act and vote + for the question and perhaps also for the comments.

A+

• Edited by bschlebe Friday, January 25, 2019 1:05 PM
    • Changed type bschlebe Friday, January 25, 2019 1:06 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2019 12:09 PM

All replies

• Hello,

First off your link does not work, perhaps this one is what you meant. Next up, you should consider changing this from a question to a discussion.

In regards to the survey, I believe anyone with the time should take the survey but at the same time keep an open mind to past surveys and how others around the world see VB.NET.

Microsoft will keep going for many years to come but no matter the case VB.NET will trail behind C#. Currently C# 8 is slated for release soon which will have features VB.NET will not have, same went for C#6 and C#7. If we look at VB6 as a model, it keeps going no matter that it reached end of life a while ago. Same will happen with VB.NET perhaps five or so years from now.

Ultimately the decision maker is business, team leaders for developers.

Looking at my history working for two large enterprises, both at one point in time were VB6/VB.NET only until web solutions dominated then the smart decision was to leave VB flavors behind (a whole new topic here).

For those reading this my opinion is VB.NET is a solid language that if business and team lead's are okay with it or you are a sole programmer keep going with VB.NET until you can't then it's time to consider new paths which may or may not be C#.  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Friday, January 25, 2019 12:24 PM
  • I have corrected the link.

Now it is in good place on Meta Stack Overflow.

I have changed the type of post as you proposed.

I'm surprise to read that VB.Net is behind C#. I thought that Microsoft promised that both languages would be synchronized in future.

Friday, January 25, 2019 1:10 PM
  • I have corrected the link.

Now it is in good place on Meta Stack Overflow.

I have changed the type of post as you proposed.

I'm surprise to read that VB.Net is behind C#. I thought that Microsoft promised that both languages would be synchronized in future.

Well in regards to syncing VB.NET and C#, that has changed, check this Google search out.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Friday, January 25, 2019 1:44 PM