I get error 80180048 when trying to install the first update using the Zune PC client RRS feed

All replies

• ***WARNING*** ATTEMPTING TO FOLLOW OR FOLLOWING THESE DIRECTIONS MAY RUIN YOUR PHONE.  DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Here's what I've had success with:

First thing to try (even if you didn't use Chevron.Update -- I didn't and this worked for me.):
    1. Revert to your backup per the instructions accompanying the Mango beta.  You did save it, right? 
    2. Uninstall the Windows Phone Support Tool (all versions).  It interferes with the Windows Phone Update Tool (UpdateWP)
    3. Install the beta version of Zune (4.8.2098) per the instructions accompanying the Mango beta.
    4. Install the appropriate version of the Windows Phone Update Tool for your computer. (UpdateWP, included with Mango beta)
    5. Get the updated Walsh Fix Tool from this forum post.  Be sure to get the right one for your computer.
      1. It claims to need the Windows Phone Support Tools, but it doesn't.  UpdateWP (from the Mango Beta) installs everything it needs.
      2. Make sure to read the directions and run it with the right flags for your version.
      3. Make sure to select ALL THE LANGUAGES THAT APPEAR ON YOUR PHONE under Settings -> Keyboard, not just the one(s) you use.  This is of critical importance, and what many people (including me) messed up.  Double and triple check.
    6. Run MangoB2-DevRetailUpdate.exe per the instructions accompanying the Mango beta.
    Now the ISV update might work for you.  If it does, be sure to keep the new backup made by MangoB2-DevRetailUpdate.exe or you'll need to do all this again when Mango reaches RTM.  Remember, you're here because your original backup was messed up and couldn't apply the update.

If the ISV update still doesn't work, and you have a Samsung Focus version 1.3 (check under the battery), and you're on AT&T or Rodgers:
    1. Make sure you want to do this.  It will WIPE YOUR PHONE, and you WILL LOSE EVERYTHING.  Market purchases can be re-downloaded, but you'll lose progress in games, saved app data, etc.
    2. Download the appropriate ROM from this forum post on xda-developers.com.
      1. For AT&T you want "Samsung i917 Focus firmware UCJK2 AT&T USA"
      2. For Rodgers you want "Samsung i917R Focus firmware UXJL2 ROGERS CANADA"
    3. Extract the downloaded files, but don't do anything with them yet.
    4. Download and install the Samsung Driver Files.
    5. Reboot (really).
    6. Boot your Focus into download mode.
      1. Hold Volume Up + Power + Camera until the phone reboots and shows a yellow triangle.
    7. Plug your phone into your computer.
    8. Make sure the drivers completely install.
      1. Open Device Manager
      2. Check for any unknown Samsung, USB or Phone devices
        1. If there are any, right click and select Update Driver Software
        2. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
          1. On 32 bit Windows enter C:\Program Files\Samsung\Samsung PC Studio 3\USB Drivers
          2. On 64 bit Windows enter C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Samsung PC Studio 3\USB Drivers
          3. Check Include subfolders.
          4. Next...Next... etc.
        3. Repeat for all unknown Samsung, Phone, and USB Devices.
      3. When you're done, you should have the following:
        1. USB Controllers -> SAMSUNG USB Composite Device
        2. Ports (COM & LPT) -> SAMSUNG Mobile Modem Diagnostic Serial Port (WDM)
        3. Modems -> SAMSUNG Mobile Modem
    9. Go back to the extracted ROM.
    10. Run WP7 Downloader Ver 7.21 for All Device (Publish version)
      1. Ensure that all check boxes are selected (Phone Boot, Phone, Eboot, PDA, CSC download)
      2. Ensure that all files are selected (Phone, Eboot, PDA, CSC)
        1. Select any missing files.  There's only one choice for each in the zip you downloaded.
      3. Ensure one of the ports is green.  If they all say NONE, then go back and actually install the drivers (Steps 3-7).
    11. Click Start.
    12. Wait until your phone reboots into the first run setup flow.  The tool will look like it's done before this happens.  Just wait, and leave your phone alone.  Trust me.
    13. Configure your phone, and apply all Zune updates (fine to use the Zune beta).  It'll take a while, but eventually you'll end up at 7.0.7390 or 7.0.7392.
    14. Now just follow the Mango directions.
    I hope that helps someone.  Good luck!
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:47 AM
  • I was also getting the same error and i am able to fix it. I am pasting my whole update process...

My Phone Information:

I am using Samsung Focus with AT &T and I used Chris Walsh tool to get NoDO and then de-walshed my phone using Microsoft Supported de-walsh tool (//blog.walshie.me/walshed-phone-support-tool-official-fix-to-get-you-back-on-track)

Mango Update process

UpdateWP.EXE Crashed

When I ran “DevRetailUpdate”, UpdateWP.exe crashed. Then based on this forum (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wptools/thread/76c6d1dc-72a9-43e4-93bf-f3d9a8a6df59#a77f350b-c31d-4f53-a5a3-f7a37d19db82), I did the following:

1.       Go to C:\Program files\Zune\

2.       Delete the UpdateWP.exe and wm7update.dll

a.       These 2 files had the 4/1/2011 time stamp

3.       Re-ran “Setup-UpdateWP-x64.exe” which copied the file back into the c:\program files\zune\ folder.

a.       Now the same 2 files had 5/23/2011 timestamp

4.       This fixed “UpdateWP.exe” crashing issue.

7401 Update Failed with 80180048 error

Based on the same forum ((http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wptools/thread/76c6d1dc-72a9-43e4-93bf-f3d9a8a6df59#a77f350b-c31d-4f53-a5a3-f7a37d19db82), I found the following which worked.

1.       Copied my backup to another drive

a.       YOU MUST DO THIS BEFORE UNINSTALLING OR YOU'RE LEFT WITHOUT A BACKUP TO RESTORE, I.E. SCREWED

2.       Uninstalled the pre-release Zune software

3.       Deleted anything left over in the C:\Program Files\Zune folder

4.       Installed the released version of the Zune client

5.       Copied the "Windows Phone Update" folder back to the backup location at C:\Users\Username\AppData\Microsoft\

6.       Used the Zune client to restore my phone back to the pre-Mango-attempt backup

7.       Ran through the De-Walshing fix found on http://blog.walshie.me/walshed-phone-support-tool-official-fix-to-get-you-back-on-track

a.       Make sure you select ALL languages on your phone, not just the ones checked-off on the keyboard screen ***.

8.       After that completed successfully, restarted the Mango update from scratch, this time, completing successfully

*** Apparently when I ran the de-walshing tool initially some months back, I ran with only “English – United States” and not all the languages selected which IS INSTALLED IN MY PHONE. I GUESS THIS IS THE ISSUE.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Thanks for that information, mkWPApps. That resolved my issue regarding the error code 80180048. One quick note though. I took a gamble and didn't bother uninstalling Zune or restoring my phone to the backup created by the provisioning tool. Instead, all I did was run the WP7 Phone fix, followed by retrying the installation of ISV Beta 7401. That install succeeded along with the installation of the Mango pre-release build (ISV Beta 7661). Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there. Thanks again!
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:26 PM
  • Has this worked for anyone else? Or has anyone found any other workarounds?
    I really don't want to have the patience to wait a couple weeks for a MS fix while just about everyone else can just force this update on their phone. I've never done anything to my phone except you Zune to update my device and only ever followed official Microsoft instructions.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 5:49 PM
  • [Deleted]

See post above.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 11:51 PM
  • This did not work for me. I am on Samsung Focus on AT&T and despite restoring to pre-Mango NoDo version, I get the error. I have reset my phone since attempting the Walsh method so I suppose the phone is not a Walshied phone? Or does it still count as such?

Nevertheless, it is a very frustrating experience when you go through about 45 minutes of backup and such, only to realize there is a weird 80180048 error :-( Wish there were a detection earlier on in the process. I mean this as a feedback point and absolutely not as a complaint/criticism.
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 4:37 PM
  • can you send me a link to do this? also how to do this?
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 8:48 PM
  • can you send me a link to do this?
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 8:49 PM
  • will it help if i reset my phone and try again? Or is this problem deeper than that?
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Has this worked for anyone else? Or has anyone found any other workarounds?
    I really don't want to have the patience to wait a couple weeks for a MS fix while just about everyone else can just force this update on their phone. I've never done anything to my phone except you Zune to update my device and only ever followed official Microsoft instructions.

can you send me a link to do this? also how to do this?

Try following the directions in this post.

will it help if i reset my phone and try again? Or is this problem deeper than that?

It's deeper than that.  See above.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 2:16 AM
  • ***WARNING*** ATTEMPTING TO FOLLOW OR FOLLOWING THESE DIRECTIONS MAY RUIN YOUR PHONE.  DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

First thing to try (even if you didn't use Chevron.Update -- I didn't and this worked for me.):
    1. Revert to your backup per the instructions accompanying the Mango beta.  You did save it, right? 
    2. Uninstall the Windows Phone Support Tool (all versions).  It interferes with the Windows Phone Update Tool (UpdateWP)
    3. Install the beta version of Zune (4.8.2098) per the instructions accompanying the Mango beta.
    4. Install the appropriate version of the Windows Phone Update Tool for your computer. (UpdateWP, included with Mango beta)
    5. Get the updated Walsh Fix Tool from this forum post.  Be sure to get the right one for your computer.
      1. Make sure to read the directions and run it with the right flags for your version.
      2. Make sure to select ALL THE LANGUAGES THAT APPEAR ON YOUR PHONE under Settings -> Keyboard, not just the one(s) you use.  This is of critical importance, and what many people (including me) messed up.  Double and triple check.
    6. Run MangoB2-DevRetailUpdate.exe per the instructions accompanying the Mango beta.

Slight issue here - #5 needs Windows Phone Support tool (listed in the pre-requisites in the "original post" that is linked in the thread you point to). What to do now?
    Monday, July 4, 2011 4:43 PM

• Slight issue here - #5 needs Windows Phone Support tool (listed in the pre-requisites in the "original post" that is linked in the thread you point to). What to do now?

UpdateWP from the Mango Beta installs everything it needs.  Don't install the Windows Phone Support Tools again, or it will replace key DLLs with older versions.

Updated the post to reflect that.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 7:30 PM

1. It claims to need the Windows Phone Support Tools, but it doesn't.  UpdateWP (from the Mango Beta) installs everything it needs.
      2. Make sure to read the directions and run it with the right flags for your version.
      3. Make sure to select ALL THE LANGUAGES THAT APPEAR ON YOUR PHONE under Settings -> Keyboard, not just the one(s) you use.  This is of critical importance, and what many people (including me) messed up.  Double and triple check.
    Now the ISV update might work for you.  If it does, be sure to keep the new backup made by MangoB2-DevRetailUpdate.exe or you'll need to do all this again when Mango reaches RTM.  Remember, you're here because your original backup was messed up and couldn't apply the update.

If the ISV update still doesn't work, and you have a Samsung Focus version 1.3 (check under the battery), and you're on AT&T or Rodgers:
    1. Make sure you want to do this.  It will WIPE YOUR PHONE, and you WILL LOSE EVERYTHING.  Market purchases can be re-downloaded, but you'll lose progress in games, saved app data, etc.
    2. Download the appropriate ROM from this forum post on xda-developers.com.
      1. For AT&T you want "Samsung i917 Focus firmware UCJK2 AT&T USA"
      2. For Rodgers you want "Samsung i917R Focus firmware UXJL2 ROGERS CANADA"
    3. Extract the downloaded files, but don't do anything with them yet.
    4. Download and install the Samsung Driver Files.
    5. Reboot (really).
    6. Boot your Focus into download mode.
      1. Hold Volume Up + Power + Camera until the phone reboots and shows a yellow triangle.
    7. Plug your phone into your computer.
    8. Make sure the drivers completely install.
      1. Open Device Manager
      2. Check for any unknown Samsung, USB or Phone devices
        1. If there are any, right click and select Update Driver Software
        2. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
          1. On 32 bit Windows enter C:\Program Files\Samsung\Samsung PC Studio 3\USB Drivers
          2. On 64 bit Windows enter C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Samsung PC Studio 3\USB Drivers
          3. Check Include subfolders.
          4. Next...Next... etc.
        3. Repeat for all unknown Samsung, Phone, and USB Devices.
      3. When you're done, you should have the following:
        1. USB Controllers -> SAMSUNG USB Composite Device
        2. Ports (COM & LPT) -> SAMSUNG Mobile Modem Diagnostic Serial Port (WDM)
        3. Modems -> SAMSUNG Mobile Modem
    9. Go back to the extracted ROM.
    10. Run WP7 Downloader Ver 7.21 for All Device (Publish version)
      1. Ensure that all check boxes are selected (Phone Boot, Phone, Eboot, PDA, CSC download)
      2. Ensure that all files are selected (Phone, Eboot, PDA, CSC)
        1. Select any missing files.  There's only one choice for each in the zip you downloaded.
      3. Ensure one of the ports is green.  If they all say NONE, then go back and actually install the drivers (Steps 3-7).
    11. Click Start.
    12. Wait until your phone reboots into the first run setup flow.  The tool will look like it's done before this happens.  Just wait, and leave your phone alone.  Trust me.
    13. Configure your phone, and apply all Zune updates (fine to use the Zune beta).  It'll take a while, but eventually you'll end up at 7.0.7390 or 7.0.7392.
    14. Now just follow the Mango directions.
    I hope that helps someone.  Good luck!

Does #9 need to run in download mode, or in normal mode? I have the drivers installed correctly (if the only test is being able to see the three devices in Device Manager, I can see them, so I assume it worked fine), but none of my ports are turning green, so obviously I cannot start the flashing.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 10:56 PM
  • Nick - this was perfect. I had some issues with the COM port detection, but after a few attempts, it went well. Flashed it fine and am now on Mango. Thanks much!
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 6:09 PM
  • Alpha.. do you have a phone that was Walshed?
    Friday, July 8, 2011 11:36 PM
  • What if I have a focus 1.4 and can't even make a backup ?
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 8:26 AM
  • Alpha.. do you have a phone that was Walshed?

Yes and no. I had Walshed it around the time NoDo was released, but I had to do a hard reset after that. I am not sure how much of the Walshing gets left over after a hard reset.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Since Focus 1.4's don't currently have the NoDo update available, they're not able to be upgraded to Mango at this time. 
    Hopefully that should be fixed soon, so keep checking back.

Thanks,

~Jonathan Tanner [MSFT]
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:18 PM
  • Hello,

For those of you experiencing the error code 80180048 (Often caused by using the Chevron tool or 'Walshing' a device), we believe we'll have an 'official' fix available soon.  Please check back on Monday / Tuesday for a status update and instructions.

Thanks,

~Jonathan Tanner [MSFT]
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:20 PM
  • Many thanks for the update Jonathan.  I have not used the walsh tool to update.  The only tool I ran was from microsoft when updating to NoDo.  I get the same error 80180048.  Will the "offical" fix be available to those of us on this thread that have not used the walsh tool, yet get the same 8~ error?  .. fyi I have a v 1.3 phone.

Thanks
    Brad
    Friday, July 15, 2011 1:59 AM
  • Hi Brad,

Hopefully it should resolve all of the problems for anyone experiencing this particular error code. 

Thanks,

~Jonathan Tanner [MSFT]
    Friday, July 15, 2011 8:55 PM
  • Jonathan,

Today is Tuesday :)... think those of use devs that are getting the ~048 error will see the fix?.... What is the status?

Thanks again.

Brad
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Jonathan,

Today is Tuesday :)... think those of use devs that are getting the ~048 error will see the fix?.... What is the status?

Thanks again.

Brad

The official fix was posted yesterday.  Now when you upgrade from 7390 or 7392, you will be installing build 7403 as a pre-mango update.  This build contains the fix for 80180048.  For those people already on 7661, there is NO need to restore your backup.  7661 already contains the fixes in 7403.

Let us know if you have further issues with 80180048.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Excellent.... just ran the first update and it ran like a charm... now.. I'm up to the point zune is telling me 7661 is available.  Here is my question... I've had to go back to work where I have the 4.7.4140 zune client installed ( not the beta ).... it is prompting me to update my phone to 7661 as well... Is it OK to update my phone to mango on the older zune client.  Don't believe I have any of the phone SDK's either?....

Thanks again for the feedback...
    Brad
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:09 PM
  • OK... rather than risk it, I unstalled the older zune client and installed the BETA from the mango beta package from the invitation (i had already installed the beta and went through the phone back-up step in the mango update doc- reinstalled the old client while waiting for the fix because I was having trouble with the beta zune client). I'm upgrading now and it is a 8 of 9, restarting your phone... My phone just has the samsung logo displayed in white with a black background.  Seems to have been at this stage of an inordinate amount of time.... is this to be expected?... letting it run for now.

Thanks
    Brad
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:29 PM
  • wow.... i was getting nevous .. seem to take forever for the Samsung logo to go away and actually restart... it finally did.... so for those of you that see the logo stay for a while. on stop 8 of 9. resist the urge to unplug or take the battery out....

observations:
    Another odd thing is once the phone finished updating via the zune client dialog feeback and my phone returning to my lock screen picture.. the following occurred.  ( selected "finish" button on zune client then unplugged )

The screen was not taking input.  My lock screen was there but wouldn't swipe up ( no password ).. I noticed that as it bumped up a fraction, there was a black dialog screen and I could see the close button on the left bottom (this was behind my picture-lock-screen).  I tried tapping the power button.. swiping up and down .. nothing... then I pressed the camera button (btw.. this was always a bug on nodo or before... my screen would not change from black.. tap the power button nothing... i would have to hold the camera button down .. then hit home... (no password on lock.).. it went to camera but I still couldn't select tiles or swipe... ( as tho the dialog screen with close button had focus even though it wasn't visible )... Search and Home would work.. don't remember back working... still .. no input accepted on screen ( dialog had focus but wasn't visible )... finally took the battery out .. restarted and all seems well.

sweet mango :)... how could something like a phone OS bring so much joy :)..

Thanks  for staying with the post MS ( i still and will always be a believer :) ) .....
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Excellent.... just ran the first update and it ran like a charm... now.. I'm up to the point zune is telling me 7661 is available.  Here is my question... I've had to go back to work where I have the 4.7.4140 zune client installed ( not the beta ).... it is prompting me to update my phone to 7661 as well... Is it OK to update my phone to mango on the older zune client.  Don't believe I have any of the phone SDK's either?....

Thanks again for the feedback...
    Brad

While updating from 4.7 might technically work, you should try and stay on the mainline path of updating from 4.8.  This is how we test internally and Zune 4.8 will be an upgrade for everyone before Mango goes live.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Hi Brad,

As that version wasn't tested for the update I would suggest you wait to continue the update until you're using version 2098 of the Zune client.  Best to avoid any possibility of bricking your device and that adds more variablitiy into it.

Thanks,

~Jonathan Tanner [MSFT]
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:26 PM