Live SDK v. WAMS auth RRS feed

• Question

• The Live SDK makes it easy for the user to log in without entering their password again, and the app can access info like their photo and name. The WAMS auth gives a user id value and works with multiple other identity providers, but doesn't provide a way to access the user photo and name, and requires the user to enter the username and password.

How are the two supposed to be reconciled? What do I do if I have an app that uses WAMS data, but I also want to display the user's profile picture and see their name? Is there a way that I can use WAMS authentication with the user's Microsoft Account on the machine, instead of forcing them to enter their info again?

Thanks.

EDIT:

I also want it to allow users to send an invitation to another user they select with the contact picker. However, there is obviously no way to get the WAMS user id of an arbitrary email address. How then should I store the "invitation" in the database? I guess I could just use the recipient's email address, but then it's weird to use the email address for one user on the invitation and the WAMS user id for the other. Is there a better way to do this?

• Edited by Nick Heiner Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:50 AM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:40 AM

Answers

• Have you seen the tutorial on using Live Connect with Mobile Services for single-sign on? In addition to SSO, it also shows how to get info back from Live Connect on the client?

Use Live Connect for single sign-on

The userId is assigned by Mobile Services after successful authentication of a user. I don't see why you would need it to send out an email invitation to another potential user. You should also take a look at this tutorial that uses SendGrid to send emails from Mobile Services: Email with SendGrid

Thanks,

Glenn Gailey

Please visit my blog

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Nick Heiner Wednesday, February 6, 2013 3:58 AM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:06 PM

All replies

• Have you seen the tutorial on using Live Connect with Mobile Services for single-sign on? In addition to SSO, it also shows how to get info back from Live Connect on the client?

Use Live Connect for single sign-on

The userId is assigned by Mobile Services after successful authentication of a user. I don't see why you would need it to send out an email invitation to another potential user. You should also take a look at this tutorial that uses SendGrid to send emails from Mobile Services: Email with SendGrid

Thanks,

Glenn Gailey

Please visit my blog

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Nick Heiner Wednesday, February 6, 2013 3:58 AM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:06 PM
  • That was great. Thanks!
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 3:59 AM