SharePoint Foundation Search Index Limit RRS feed

• Question

• I'm planning on migrating to SP Foundation 2013 and have a test farm.  I just noticed that the Search Service Application, Search Administration, in the Searchable Items area, I have a yellow exclamation mark indicating the following:

"The maximum size for Search Index is 2 million items For SPF Search.  Please refer to documentation for options and recommendations."

My existing prod environment is running Search Server Express 2010 and I have over 7 million searchable items.  Did Microsoft put a 2 million item limit for SP Foundation 2013?  If that's the case, that is a huge issue and I cannot move my customer to SP Foundation 2013.

Can someone please confirm and provide some feedback?

Thank you,

Rumi

Thursday, October 29, 2015 3:50 PM

Answers

• Please note that this issue has been addressed under KB3115168 (released June 14<sup>th</sup> 2016) which increases search index limit from 2 million items to 10 million items in SharePoint Foundation 2013.  Further, this update is included in the June 14<sup>th</sup> 2016 cumulative update (CU) KB3115171.  You can choose to update your SharePoint Foundation 2013 farms with either the KB31151711 CU which has other fixes or just update your farm with KB3115168 to only address the search index limitations.

We had been waiting for this update for a while and this is good news for Foundation 2013 customers that has beyond 2 Million items in their farms.  Thank you, Microsoft!

Rumi

• Marked as answer by Rumi's Point Monday, June 20, 2016 10:39 PM
    Monday, June 20, 2016 10:39 PM
  • 2 million is a published limit:

Indexed items

10 million per index partition

Supported

Each index partition contains a subset of the whole search index. If the number of indexed items is high in relation to how much memory the server has, affects the query response time negatively.

For SharePoint Foundation 2013 the maximum number of indexed items is 2 million items per index partition.

And there is only one index partition in Foundation:

Index partitions

25 per Search service application

Supported

An index partition holds a subset of the Search service application index. Increasing the number of index partitions results in each partition holding a smaller subset of the index, reducing the RAM and disk space that is needed on the servers hosting the index components.

For SharePoint Foundation 2013, the maximum number of index components per Search service application is one, so the maximum number of index partitions per Search service application is limited to one.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787.aspx#Search

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Books: SharePoint 2007 2010 Customization for the Site Owner, SharePoint 2010 Security for the Site Owner

• Proposed as answer by KRISHANA KUMAR Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Tuesday, November 10, 2015 8:04 AM
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 4:15 PM
  • Hi Rumi,

As Mike said, for SharePoint Foundation 2013, the maximum number of index components per Search service application is one, and the maximum number of indexed items is 2 million items per index partition. So, for SharePoint Foundation 2013, the maximum number of indexed items is 2 million.

If you want to upgrade SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013, I suggest you use SharePoint server 2013 instead of SharePoint Foundation 2013.

Best Regards,

Wendy

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 2, 2015 6:42 AM
  • Update on this issue:

Microsoft is planning on providing a PU to remove the Index limitation of 2 million items for SharePoint Foundation 2013.  The PU ETA is sometimes in late May or early June 2016.  This is great news!

Rumi

• Marked as answer by Rumi's Point Thursday, April 28, 2016 4:38 PM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 3:41 PM

All replies

• Also - I have the following in the event logs:

Rumi

Thursday, October 29, 2015 3:54 PM
  • Hi Rumi,

please check this : https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/072d63b1-a55b-4c5d-8dab-ebe6c349f5b7/sharepoint-2013-foundation-have-limitation-on-search-service?forum=sharepointgeneral

KRISHANA KUMAR

SharePoint Architect

Mosstechnet-kk.com

Please click "Mark As Answer" if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful

Thursday, October 29, 2015 3:56 PM
  • Sorry but how is that thread going to answer my question?  Is the 2 Million items a valid limit?

Rumi

Thursday, October 29, 2015 4:00 PM
  • 2 million is a published limit:

Indexed items

10 million per index partition

Supported

Each index partition contains a subset of the whole search index. If the number of indexed items is high in relation to how much memory the server has, affects the query response time negatively.

For SharePoint Foundation 2013 the maximum number of indexed items is 2 million items per index partition.

And there is only one index partition in Foundation:

Index partitions

25 per Search service application

Supported

An index partition holds a subset of the Search service application index. Increasing the number of index partitions results in each partition holding a smaller subset of the index, reducing the RAM and disk space that is needed on the servers hosting the index components.

For SharePoint Foundation 2013, the maximum number of index components per Search service application is one, so the maximum number of index partitions per Search service application is limited to one.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787.aspx#Search

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Books: SharePoint 2007 2010 Customization for the Site Owner, SharePoint 2010 Security for the Site Owner

Thursday, October 29, 2015 4:15 PM
  • Yes, Mike.  I have this info - so MS put a 2 million limit in Foundation 2013.  I wanted to see if the forum confirms this number?  As you can see, the event log clearly indicates that crawl has been stopped.  If that is the case - SP 2013 is a no go for my customer. 

Rumi

Thursday, October 29, 2015 4:30 PM
  • Hi Rumi,

As Mike said, for SharePoint Foundation 2013, the maximum number of index components per Search service application is one, and the maximum number of indexed items is 2 million items per index partition. So, for SharePoint Foundation 2013, the maximum number of indexed items is 2 million.

If you want to upgrade SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013, I suggest you use SharePoint server 2013 instead of SharePoint Foundation 2013.

Best Regards,

Wendy

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 2, 2015 6:42 AM
  • I get it, Wendy.  It's just that this 2 million items limitation did not exist in SharePoint Foundation 2010.  They cannot afford SharePoint Server 2013; therefore, they are not going to proceed with the migration to 2013.  Most likely they will be looking at some other solution if Foundation 2016 has the same limitation.

Rumi

Monday, November 2, 2015 5:28 PM
  • :-) I did not know that.

A lot of customers are running Foundation and they cannot afford to go to Server or Enterprise.  So, not sure what Microsoft is trying to do.  At least they were buying the OS and SQL licenses.

Rumi

Monday, November 2, 2015 9:03 PM
  • Update on this issue:

Microsoft is planning on providing a PU to remove the Index limitation of 2 million items for SharePoint Foundation 2013.  The PU ETA is sometimes in late May or early June 2016.  This is great news!

Rumi

• Marked as answer by Rumi's Point Thursday, April 28, 2016 4:38 PM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 3:41 PM
  • Please note that this issue has been addressed under KB3115168 (released June 14<sup>th</sup> 2016) which increases search index limit from 2 million items to 10 million items in SharePoint Foundation 2013.  Further, this update is included in the June 14<sup>th</sup> 2016 cumulative update (CU) KB3115171.  You can choose to update your SharePoint Foundation 2013 farms with either the KB31151711 CU which has other fixes or just update your farm with KB3115168 to only address the search index limitations.

We had been waiting for this update for a while and this is good news for Foundation 2013 customers that has beyond 2 Million items in their farms.  Thank you, Microsoft!

Rumi

• Marked as answer by Rumi's Point Monday, June 20, 2016 10:39 PM
    Monday, June 20, 2016 10:39 PM