Windows Update freezes application

Question

• Hi,

If I go into the Metro Control Panel and click Windows Update it freezes that control Panel. If I go into More settings (i.e. traditional Control Panel) and click Windows Update it opens a window with Update title bar but loads no content and freezes.

It's only the control panel/update window that freezes not the whole system. The weird thing is if I CTRL+ALT+DEL and open Task Manager update or control panel isn't listed anywhere (either in programs or processes) so I can't kill it.

This has only started happening in the last week or so. It was fine before and I've not installed or changed anything inbetween it working and not working. I'm now worried that automatic updates aren't happening (as I can't check if they are) and my system isn't getting virus definitions etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

• Edited by Mod74 Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:44 PM typo
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If I go into the Metro Control Panel and click Windows Update it freezes that control Panel. If I go into More settings (i.e. traditional Control Panel) and click Windows Update it opens a window with Update title bar but loads no content and freezes.

It's only the control panel/update window that freezes not the whole system. The weird thing is if I CTRL+ALT+DEL and open Task Manager update or control panel isn't listed anywhere (either in programs or processes) so I can't kill it.

This has only started happening in the last week or so. It was fine before and I've not installed or changed anything inbetween it working and not working. I'm now worried that automatic updates aren't happening (as I can't check if they are) and my system isn't getting virus definitions etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Hello Paul,

Try to run SFC SCANNOW and see If that failed try Refresh PC it's like a Repair Install on old version of Windows

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert (IT Pro)
    • Marked as answer by Mod74 Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:12 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Hi, ran sfscan and even though it didn't report any issues, going back to Update and it seems to be working fine again.

Thanks very much. 

Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Hello Paul,

Try to run SFC SCANNOW and see If that failed try Refresh PC it's like a Repair Install on old version of Windows

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert (IT Pro)
    • Marked as answer by Mod74 Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:12 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Hi, ran sfscan and even though it didn't report any issues, going back to Update and it seems to be working fine again.

Thanks very much. 

Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:11 AM