none
Local network on same account between sites en sql database RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone,

I've just installed an orchard and a magelia site (azure websites) + created an sql db.

Now the magelia site connects to the sql db via a .database.windows.net connectionstring. So I'm guessing this goes out to the internet and then comes back.

The orchard site connects to the magelia site also via an outside link so this again fetches the data over the internet and back.

Is their a way that I can locally interconnect these 2 sites and the db?

Borrie

Friday, January 17, 2014 9:28 AM

Answers

• To some extent, this depends on what you mean by "Azure websites". If you mean Cloud services running web roles, then you can minimize some of the external traffic by putting both into an Azure virtual network (VNET). If you are talking about Windows Azure Websites, then you cannot currently add them to a VNET. We are looking at that as a future feature, but there isn't a public timeline for this.

Regardless, the performance hit isn't quite as bad as you might initially think. As long as you create all your resources in the same datacenter (for example, East US or West Europe), none of the traffic will leave the datacenter. While you won't get the local address resolution and optimization we do when resources are in the same VNET, you will get much of the performance benefit.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 2:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Monday, January 20, 2014 5:25 AM
  • To some extent, this depends on what you mean by "Azure websites". If you mean Cloud services running web roles, then you can minimize some of the external traffic by putting both into an Azure virtual network (VNET). If you are talking about Windows Azure Websites, then you cannot currently add them to a VNET. We are looking at that as a future feature, but there isn't a public timeline for this.

Regardless, the performance hit isn't quite as bad as you might initially think. As long as you create all your resources in the same datacenter (for example, East US or West Europe), none of the traffic will leave the datacenter. While you won't get the local address resolution and optimization we do when resources are in the same VNET, you will get much of the performance benefit.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 2:01 AM
  • Evan,

Thanks for your answer, so even though I use public connection strings the traffic won't leave the datacenter?

Borrie

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:45 AM
  • Correct. Just make sure that all of your resources are in the same datacenter.
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 3:53 PM