Insert Trigger RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am really new to triggers. I need to create an insert trigger on a table. I have a table called CacheTest. I have these columns and the data in that table

id        SearchWord          Flag

1         New York                1

2         California                0

Whenever the record with flag 0 gets inserted into the CacheTest table, A stored procedure needs to be executed.

Please help me in achieving this..

Thanks

Monday, May 20, 2013 2:28 PM

Answers

• I meant to have one procedure to insert values and call the other procedure if needed instead of doing that work in the trigger.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Monday, May 20, 2013 6:52 PM

All replies

• CREATE TRIGGER tr_afterinsert ON tablex FOR INSERT 
    as

IF EXISTS(SELECT 1 FROM INSERTED WHERE Flag=1)
     exec my_sp

executing an sp from trigger will not be a good idea. 

what if someone insert multiple records with falg value=0 using insert into .. select ..

trigger will only fire once.. 

is that what you want.. 

vt

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

Monday, May 20, 2013 2:32 PM
  • Do you need to execute this procedure for all inserted rows with flag 0 or just execute it once if at least 1 inserted row has flag 0? v.vt solution answers the second question.

My blog

Monday, May 20, 2013 3:03 PM
  • try this code :
      create Trigger triggername 
      on tableName
      for insert 
      as
      declare @flag varchar(100)
      select @flag =  Flag from inserted ;	
      if	@flag = '0'
      exec storedProc1

Monday, May 20, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Take a look at this blog post

Best Practice: Coding SQL Server triggers for multi-row operations

to avoid common misconception about T-SQL triggers

My blog

Monday, May 20, 2013 3:21 PM
  • Thanks for the replies. I need to execute the procedure for all inserted rows with flag 0.

Monday, May 20, 2013 3:26 PM
  • If you are using sql 2008+ then create  a table variable and pass that variable to SP rather than call calling the sp in a loop

vt

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

Monday, May 20, 2013 3:40 PM
  • In that particular case you may run a cursor for all newly inserted rows with flag 0 and execute this procedure in a loop.

My blog

Monday, May 20, 2013 3:49 PM
  • @Naomi..

Cursor inside a trigger would that be a good idea..

vt

• Edited by SimpleSQL Monday, May 20, 2013 3:56 PM
    Monday, May 20, 2013 3:56 PM
  • Thank you. So you are recommending cursor instead of trigger?.Is that you mean?

Thanks

Monday, May 20, 2013 3:57 PM
  • No, it may not be a good idea. But it depends on what the procedure is doing and why does it have to be run from the trigger?

If the inserts into that table are controlled by some stored procedure, you may move that logic there instead of using a trigger.

My blog

Monday, May 20, 2013 3:58 PM
  • Actually the table will get the values from UI. I mean search words and the cache flag. The stored procedure will actually take the data from the table which has flag 0 and refresh that particular data and update the flag as 1.
    Monday, May 20, 2013 6:42 PM
  • I meant to have one procedure to insert values and call the other procedure if needed instead of doing that work in the trigger.

My blog

Monday, May 20, 2013 6:52 PM
  • I agree, it will be better to do it from a stored procedure if condition meets instead of calling triggers.
    Monday, May 20, 2013 9:05 PM