LNK2038 with xapobase.lib in ARM-configuration - wrong LIB-files?

Question

• Hello,

I'm build a metro-app that is using XAudio2-Effects. When I try to link the ARM-configuration I get the follwoing error:

1>xapobase.lib(oapmatrixmix.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for '_MSC_VER': value '1600' doesn't match value '1700' in App.xaml.obj

WIN32 and x64 configurations work well. Is something wrong with the LIB? The linker is takting the LIB from follwing location:

"C:\Program Files (x66)\Windows Kits\8.0\Lib\win8\um\arm"

(temporarily renamed it and linker stopped with 'lib not found') This sounds right for me. Im using Windows 8 Release Preview (Buidl 8400) and VS Professional 2012 RC (Version 11.0.50522.1 RCREL)

Thanks for any answer.

Monday, June 18, 2012 2:12 PM

All replies

• I tested the XAduio-Stream-Effect sample from following. I can compile it with ARM-configuration.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/XAudio2-Stream-Effect-3f95c8f2

So could you please provide the detail steps on the local repro.

Best Regards,
    Han Xia

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:09 AM
  • Hello Han Xi,

Thank you for reply. I can compile the linked sample, but this isn't amazing because it doesn't use "xapobase.lib". The described linker-error appears whenever you implement a derivate of class CXAPOBase. (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/microsoft.directx_sdk.cxapobase.cxapobase_members%28v=vs.85%29.aspx)

Then you have to add "xapobase.lib" to your additional libraries or have to add:

#pragma comment( lib, "xapobase.lib")

to your sources and you will get the same error.

Can you reproduce this?

Thanks and best regards!

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:02 PM
  • Hello,

Are there any news about this issue? I hoped to get it fixed with RTM and latest versions of visual studio but it remains the same.

Other developer seem to experience the problem too:

http://www.win8heads.com/metro-style-apps-c/21689-lnk2038-xapobase-lib-arm-configuration-wrong-lib-files.html

Thanks and best regards!

Friday, August 24, 2012 10:34 AM
  • I'm having the same problem too.

Filip Skakun

Friday, October 12, 2012 11:20 PM
  • Success! I fixed the issue by simply binary editing xapobase.lib and replacing
    /FAILIFMISMATCH:"_MSC_VER=1600"
    with
    /FAILIFMISMATCH:"_MSC_VER=1700"

:)

Filip Skakun

• Proposed as answer by Filip Skakun Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:22 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:22 PM
  • I am seeing almost the same issue when I convert many of Charles Petzold's projects from MSDN magazine. It seems pretty clear that the ARM version of XAPOBASE.LIB is being compiled from older code. The message I am getting is

1>xapobase.lib(oapmatrixmix.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for '_MSC_VER': value '1700' doesn't match value '1800' in AmplitudeEnvelopeEffect.obj

I a whole generation newer than the tool sets that Filip was using above. I am able to convert the project successfully when running on X86, but when I try to deploy on ARM I am hitting this issue. I am using Visual Studio 2013 Update 3 RTM to perform the conversion from 8.0 to 8.1.

The Petzold project that I am converting is "AnalogSynth".

The code can be downloaded from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/msdnmag0713.aspx

The MSDN article is at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dn296556.aspx

Steps to repro:

1. Download code from MSDN

2. Open project in VS2013 Update 3

3. Rebuild the project after targeting ARM

I actually get 3 different error messages in this case:

1>xapobase.lib(oapmatrixmix.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for '_MSC_VER': value '1700' doesn't match value '1800' in AmplitudeEnvelopeEffect.obj

1>xapobase.lib(oapmatrixmix.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for '_ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL': value '0' doesn't match value '2' in AmplitudeEnvelopeEffect.obj

1>xapobase.lib(oapmatrixmix.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for 'RuntimeLibrary': value 'MD_DynamicRelease' doesn't match value 'MDd_DynamicDebug' in AmplitudeEnvelopeEffect.obj

All of these errors seem to indicate that an older version of XAPOBASE.LIB is being installed as part of the SDK.

I tried patching XAPOBASE.LIB in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Lib\winv6.3\um\arm directory, as recommended above. It resolved only the first of the three errors shown here.

Is there any possible workaround?

Thanks,

David

• Proposed as answer by tomi.lee.jones Sunday, March 29, 2015 11:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by tomi.lee.jones Sunday, March 29, 2015 11:25 PM
    Wednesday, August 06, 2014 10:29 PM
  • I tried patching XAPOBASE.LIB in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Lib\winv6.3\um\arm directory, as recommended above. It resolved only the first of the three errors shown here.

Is there any possible workaround?

Thanks,

David

'_MSC_VER' error can be easily fixed by binary editing the XAPOBase.lib and changing "_MSC_VER=1700" to "_MSC_VER=1800"

Other two mismatches ( '_ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL' and 'RuntimeLibrary') are gone when building in RELEASE mode :)

Sunday, March 29, 2015 11:31 PM
  • Note that the _MSC_VER/_ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL issue is fixed in the Windows 8.1 SDK / Windows Phone 8.1 SDK that ships with VS 2015 and VS 2013 Update 5.
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:09 AM