Why can I delete entities that have associated entities? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Ive been playing around with my experimental data service at https://astoria.sandbox.live.com/users/quotemehappy/quotemehappy.rse

username=quoteit

password=quoteit

The service is very basic. Its a list of Persons and a list of Quotes for each of those Persons.

What bothers me is that I was able to insert a person, insert a quote for that person, and then delete the Person. the quote was deleted as well. I admit that my head is in relational database mode, but I happen to think that the service shouldnt let us do that. Iit should throw the equivalent of a FK violation.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Jamie

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 3:11 AM

Answers

• I agree the semantics of the service could be improved in this scenario.  It is now on our todo list of upgrades.  Thanks for the feedback.

Thursday, August 9, 2007 5:55 AM

All replies

•  

Sorry, I'm wrong. The quotes are still there, they've just been orphaned that's all. Still, I don't particularly like that behaviour either. What's the rationale here?

Thanks

Jamie

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 4:09 AM
  • I agree the semantics of the service could be improved in this scenario.  It is now on our todo list of upgrades.  Thanks for the feedback.

Thursday, August 9, 2007 5:55 AM